Trailing Arm Upgrade

problem2420

Well it seems to me that alot of wbodys have bent trailing arms, as mine do. Should I go pick some off a wbody in a junk yard or upgrade? I heard we can use newer wbody stuff i'm just not sure, and I hate my steering wheel cocked to the side while driving straight. lol

wbody store upgrade

http://www.wbodystore.com/suspension/64-w-body-store-boxed-trailing-arm-kit-.html

stock moog

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-K6402-Trailing-Arm-/261134125294?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AGrand+Prix&hash=item3cccce88ee&vxp=mtr

newer dorman kind of looks like the wbody store arm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-OE-Solutions-905-501-Trailing-Arm-/281001115091?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AGrand+Prix&hash=item416cf8bdd3&vxp=mtr

or bmr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMR-TCA011R-Trailing-Arms-Rear-Polyurethane-Bushings-/380478038784?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AGrand+Prix&hash=item5896422300&vxp=mtr

im not looking for anything crazy but if im going to change up my 91 might as well make it better.

opinions? any help is appreciated..

i took a closer look at the Wbodystore set....

it looks like they're at least using the pic for some U-channel units... maybe some U-channel units with a strip of steel laid down in the channel and welded there?

For $50 the w-body store ones are either resold Dorman's or V8 bars. I would try and find a junkyard set of the square V8 bars or the GMPP bars that apparently came on some 9C1/9C3 cars Impalas since they are so cheap. I bought a set of V8 bars (off a GXP) for $10 for my brothers 96 GP.

For $50 the w-body store ones are either resold Dorman's or V8 bars. I would try and find a junkyard set of the square V8 bars or the GMPP bars that apparently came on some 9C1/9C3 cars Impalas since they are so cheap. I bought a set of V8 bars (off a GXP) for $10 for my brothers 96 GP.

what are the 9C1/9C3 cars?

yeah i wasnt sure what the special suspension was, so i just referenced the GXP ones.

what are the 9C1/9C3 cars?
police issued Impalas. Edited by Andrew

[TABLE=class: parts]

[TR]

[TD=class: left][TABLE=class: layout]

[TR]

[TD=class: partlayout][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD=class: right]905-501-007.jpg

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I have BOTH GMPP trailing and the DORMAN trailing arms on my cars. I have discarded all the U bend arms I've gotten around to swapping out without looking back

TRUTH? YOU CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN EITHER.

but you can tell a difference between the stock U arms and either of the stronger arms.

BMRR might make a difference... if you're pushing 10 second quarter miles. LOL

ROCKAUTO is my choices of selection for purchasing new arms, great price!!!!!

DORMAN Part # 905501 MoreInfo2.png {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Heart.png

us.gif ca.gif Rear Right

us.gif ca.gif Rear Left

$11.55

Don't be hating in my BMR trailing arms! :lol:

I'm prolly the only person who has em too :lol:

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

I'm only hating the price! if they'd be $15 shipped each................

I have a pair of dormans and some square shaped ones i got off a guy and for awhile i had one of each on either side and swapped them but i cant tell a difference between the rod and square types. But they both feel WAAY better than factory U-bend trailing arms.

Found a wrecked `07 Police Impala at the yard and they run U-bends on theirs.

trailing arms are only under tension, the only thing your likely feeling is the difference between old rubber bushings and new rubber or urethane bushings

the U channel is plenty stiff in tension.

if you like to slam on the brakes in reverse then id suggest stronger trailing arms...though your bushings are 20 odd years old on some of these cars so its probably not a bad idea

I should do this. I've accidentally bent mine with the jack before.....lol

I did that too on 96 Lumina . :-(

Ordered the Dorman part from RockAuto.com .

God bless

Wyr