Changed plugs, look at these things..

Jprice90

My brother gave me a hand doing them, he has long skinny arms so he helped alot :lol:

Some of these were gapped at .75, up to .90!! Crazy!

Some have some corrosion of some sort and some smelled like paint?

post-6480-14368911852_thumb.jpg

post-6480-143689118532_thumb.jpg

LOL, geez I thought I had something interesting here haha.

These are by far the worst plugs I have seen, from my other cars etc. and the gaps were no where near as bad

Hoping to get a good increase from the new pairs

My car's performance remained exactly the same with the new plugs and wires we did at that time. Car ran the same, same fuel economy, etc. We even seafoamed it at the same time as well.

well, in my case I used to have a what sounded like lifter tick or something, that sound is gone, it does it a little for maybe a minute but it's very slight, then after that it's gone. It doesnt take as much to get the car to move anymore either. I'm pretty happy I got to get them changed. God knows how old they were before I bought the car.

the back 3 plugs in my red tgp were OEM and the car had 98k. they were about like that. the thing was I was getting 30mpg on the way back driving across the state.

if anything, it's a testament to the GM DIS ignition system. stick those plugs in something running HEI or points/condensor and i don't see good things happening.

Here's one of mine with 42k miles compared with a new one. Both are NGK "V" power plugs. Not much of a "V" left after 42k miles.

sparkplugs_42kmiles010a.jpg

No misfires and I was still getting over 27mpg highway. The gaps did open up close to 0.060" (spec is 0.045, IIRC?)

It doesnt take as much to get the car to move anymore either.

If the engine was misfiring with the old plugs, you can just about bet the catalytic converter is damaged from excess heat.

One thing is that it puts more stress on the ignition system since more voltage is required to jump the higher gap.

Hopefully I didnt screw anything up driving like that.

• 4 weeks later...
yeahh lol, I was suprised I was even getting the MPG I was. I was getting like 23ish. Wonder if it will improve

Sounds like you need to replace the O2 sensor. If its never been done before, its definitely due at 100k.

My brother changed the plugs in my grandparents ford windstar van (2002?) with 150k....and I'm almost certain factory plugs. they were horrendous.....the center electrode was non existent....I don't know how it ran. My grandpa said the butt dyno has was much improved. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like you need to replace the O2 sensor. If its never been done before, its definitely due at 100k.

I got alot to do still, just no time. all that I bet is original. how many O2's are there? just 1?

if you have a 60*, the O2 is easy to get to. climb on top of the engine, look down the back of it by the fire wall....then just off center to the drivers side you'll see it sticking up from the rear manifold. I just unhooked the pigtail from mine, then used a vice grip and it came right out. I'd replace it w/ a denso. I tried a bosch first and it went to shit in a week.

assuming you're not planning on reusing it, it's also pretty easy to cut the end off and slip a long impact socket on it and get it out that way, rather than using the overpriced O2 sensor sockets out there.

if you have a 60*, the O2 is easy to get to. climb on top of the engine, look down the back of it by the fire wall....then just off center to the drivers side you'll see it sticking up from the rear manifold. I just unhooked the pigtail from mine, then used a vice grip and it came right out. I'd replace it w/ a denso. I tried a bosch first and it went to shit in a week.

YES! I seen AZ had Bosch, I right away said F that, I dont use Bosch. Then I seen the Denso, but didnt know how they were. No I do

If the engine was misfiring with the old plugs, you can just about bet the catalytic converter is damaged from excess heat.

reallly?!

Absolutely. Converter will get so hot the ceramic substrate melts.

Normally, the converter is heated to operating temperature by the heat of the already-burned exhaust gas. Some additional heat is generated by burning the tail-end of the exhaust gasses--the conversion of a little bit of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide, a tiny fraction of the total hydrocarbons to water vapor and CO2, etc. Really a small fraction of the original fuel/air mixture.

Now dump an entire cylinderload of unburnt fuel and air into the cat: instead of burning the fraction of exhaust gas not already burned in the cylinder, it's trying to burn the whole mess. Heat load is incredible.