RIP Amplifier

skitchin

Well, the 108*F ambient temps killed my amplifier yesterday. Got about 10 seconds of bumps out when suddenly I lost the sub channel. I checked and the sub is getting power and remote signal, the Rockford Fosgate logo is even lighting up with the signal, but I've got nothing at the speaker.

Sooo, sparing any technical advice which might resuscitate my amp, I guess I'm in the market for a new one. Right now I'm rocking that 12" T3 that xtremerevolution posted about a few months back. If memory serves, the sub is rated for 600W @ 2ohms(bridged voice coils). Suggestions?

Well, if you can find a used Elemental Designs nine.1, I would highly recommend it. I've run it hard on 3 different sets of subs at 1 ohm and it's never skipped a beat. And it's a beast.

Are you sure the amp went bad? The sub could have blown. Subs usually die in extreme temperatures before amps do, in my experience. Depending on the age of the amp, thermal protection should have kicked in and saved the amp.

Are you sure the amp went bad? The sub could have blown. Subs usually die in extreme temperatures before amps do, in my experience. Depending on the age of the amp, thermal protection should have kicked in and saved the amp.

I suppose this is possible, I still need to test the speaker outs with a multimeter. Thanks for the suggestions guys

Had a dream last night that my sub just started randomly working agai, and wow, I really wish I'd investigated my problem earlier. Popped my trunk to grab something today at lunch, and for some reason remembered at that point that my box's speaker terminal is fused. So I pulled the fuse, saw that it wasn't blown so I put it back in. Apparently it had just been loose, because that fixed it. I had debated just bridging the fuse terminals back when I built the box, guess I shoulda flipping done it!

Glad I didn't rip my amp out or do anything crazy. Just a reminder to check all the stupid things.