92 CS International with 3.4

NORBI

hey

I would like to let you know that we may have a new member here, and he is my tenant that after driving my 94 CS Conv (before sold) and my 88 CS Int (192k miles now) and my new 02 Mustang GT he decided to buy a 92 Cutlass SUpreme International with 3.4 DOHC and all the options that the car could have, electric sunroof, leather, HUD, premium sound, and 79k miles all for 1500k. But now the sad parts car before it even got registered started leaking oil and power steering fluid very very badly and engine light comes up and RPMs for to 3k in idle. So now i want to know what may cause RPMs for up so high and light come up and how hard is it to change a power steering pump that will leak out whole fluid in about 20 sec.

Thanks a lot. :P

The high idle concern is more than likely intake gaskets, possibly a vacuum leak. Spray some carb cleaner in there and see where it's coming from.

If I remember my engine compartment well the PS pump is up top on the 3.4 as well as the 2.8, so it shouldn't be too bad, as long as it is the pump and not a bad line.

Lower intake gasket problems are VERY common with the 3.4 DOHC.

The oil leak is most likely due to the oil pump drive needing an O-ring.

The power steering pump leak, I don't know if it's that common, so he'll probably have to find out where it's leaking from on the power steering system. If the pump, it looks easy to change. If the rack... not so easy.

those pumps suck.... Im on my third one now!!!!! they will just start to make a hole shit load of noise one day then start pissing fluid all over the place. if yours isnt to bad yet, pull it out (3 bolts an two lines) and replace the o-ring that goes inbetween the pump and resivior. that more than likely where its leaking... pm me if you have any more questions about doing that....

Thx

I think i may check that out this weekend because at one time all of the power steering fluid just leaked out and started steaming under the hood so i was like what the hell and when i open hood power steering fluid was all over the engine and then i couldnt turn the steering wheel so proabably the pump went bad. :cry: