94 CS Convertible with jy OEM head unit - buzz when headlights are on

DavidHowell3633

My son needed his stereo back so I pulled an OEM from the JY from a 94 CS convertible to go into mine. It has the equalizer, scan up & down features and tape. Yea, I know. I am not an audio afficionado. But, when I find a nice old 94 convert, I steal what I can use. I pulled the wiring from a 97 GP since all the connectors were there and the color codes looked very similar. I even grabbed the battery cable and cleaned all my connection points before installing itover the weekend and listened to it on some travels this weekend- no problem.

Well, this morning, I left home early and turned my lights on. Great, the lights dimmed as they should. Now, I am listening to the FM and I hear a buzz- low level- not a whine or whirr. I tried adjusting the equalizer and can't really phase it out without screwing up the tone. I turned off my lights and no more buzz. Talk about a buzz kill.

When I installed this unit, I ran a new ground over to the kick panel passenger side- Under a bolt that holds the plate covering the car's wiring harness.

After days of reading pinouts and wire schematics and colors, etc, I was unable to find information on all the wires in my harness. I actually had to trace the continuity of the ALDL/Steering wheel controls and they work on the right side of the wheel. Not the left. If anyone has ALL the wire codes, I would love to see them so that I could, 1- get rid of the buzz, and 2- get the left side of the SWRC working the temp and fan. By the way, this jy 94 has 114,000 on her. Mine has twice that.

If you made it all the way through reading this- thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to suggest you have the alternator tested, as you are possibily hearing electrical whine under higher loads...

next would be the check and clean the grounds for the headlights, taillights, etc etc.

Alternator only whine when the lights are on? Ive recently replacedthebattery able and cleaned all mounting points. I noticed another grounding oint next to the negative battery cable ground,the small gauge conductor. Is that the headlight ground by chance?i dont have a fsm. Wish i did.thanks all.

• 2 months later...

I pulled it apart again and discovered I had two wires crossed. Still unsure if I have everything correct. But the steering wheel controls work, everything lights up. I tried the tape deck to play mp3s using an adapter and I don't have any control over volume or anything else. Even the clock froze where I began use. Pin outs of a stereo with steering controls would help. By the way, I pulled a pristine airbag with controls from a 1999 Aurora- $15. Just removed the four screws holding down the rectangular adapter and it bolts right on to my 1994.