Greazzer

2001 Intrigue Front End Suspension R&R Options  

4 members have voted

1. 1. 2001 Intrigue Front End Suspension R&R Options

• Dorman Products
    • GM Dealer
    • Mavotech

Hello,

It has been about a year since I entered a post on the forum and after much internal debate, I have decided to KEEP the Old's 2001 Intrigue GLS. I sold the Acura Legend instead, despite the various responses and posts I received to the contrary.

Right now, the project is the front end. I am replacing the brake pads, calipers, rotors, and wheel bearing hubs. The latter I am thinking Timken. Any other options out there? They are $125 a pop. I am comfortable doing my own brakes. Done it a bunch of times over 20+ years and never an issue. Took it apart last night, and I felt pretty good getting it done in about an hour. Getting the parts today and tomorrow and this is my weekend project.

As for the front end suspension, any one out there have any luck rebuilding the front end suspension? I am thinking of replacing the lower control arms and the rubber bushing which go to the vertical steel rods (stablizer link ??) Not sure what it is called. I can get all the front end parts from RockAuto for less than $200.00. No car has the silky smooth ride as the Intrigue IMHO. Right now some noises and light vibrations here and there, and after 228K miles, time for a little R&R.:dance:

Any thoughts from the members ?

you are on the right track DO NOT buy cheap wheel bearings unless you like replacing them every 6 months (if that) read the reviews on Advance Auto's website for their NTK wheel bearings :lol:

IIRC Rockauto sells some decent Raybestos wheel bearings pretty cheap, and they are pretty good, I think you can replace just the LCA bushings but I've never done that before. How new are the struts?

I have done the GMPP front and rear sway bar with links, I was pretty pleased with that. ZZP also has solid front sway bar that looks promising.

Being that I've replaced almost everything front-end related on my 01 Intrigue, I'd definitely agree. Wheel bearings, both fronts of which I replaced and with Advance Auto parts hubs, had to be replaced within the first six months of using them (thankfully under their one year warranty), but still had to replace them. Pain in the neck. And the Moog brand from Advance (pretty sure that's their brand), for stabilizer bar link pins aren't too spectacular - the rubber bushings that come with them wear out very quickly (like within a year period).

Chris D. might be able to correct me if I'm wrong here, but IIRC Rob had problems with the Timken wheel bearings on his Intrigue, so I wouldn't recommend them.

Hello everyone,

Well, I did it. Not too shabby. If I can figure out how to post pictures, I would. I just replaced the front bearing hub assemblies, rotors, calipers, and pads. No more than 3 hours and I am very, very happy with the results. Learned that the replacement rubber boots for the caliper bracket cannot be driven in with a vice. Nope, use a 18mm deep well socket and tap it in. That is something to fix next time on passenger side. No tears in the driver's side. Next week I am going for the lower control arm assemblies, stab links up front. Next month is the rear end suspension. After 228K I am pretty sure it is tired by now and time for R&R. I can say that my front end is almost perfectly silky smooth like it was in 2001. Not super happy with my new tires from Firestone and the front end alignment. I think after I replace all the "rubber" front and back that is part of the suspension, I will have the 2001 ride that was an occasional privilege -- this was my wife's car and I rarely drove it, but now it's mine. After that, I am going to tackle all the crap I started out to do at the time I joined the forum.:biggrin:

Front End is about done !!!

I just replaced both Front End Lower Assemblies & Stabilizer Bushing Sets. Not a horrible job as I thought. About 2 hours. I now have that 2001 "race car" responsive front end which is one of the reasons why we bought the car -- plus the silky smooth ride. I still have the annoying vibration up front at 55-60 mph which seems to go away around 70 mph. I need to buy the wire loom fastners which have a ribbed post 1/2" post that pop into the lower arm holes (each side takes 3). Mine crumbled. Because my rack and pinion leaks, I think I am going to replace that and the sway bar bushings. Anyone out there have any luck with this ?? It looks like a half a day job, but at that point, I have replaced everything which is part of the front end suspension so I am hoping that my vibration issues go away. I took the car twice now to the Firestone Center to have the tires double checked and front end alignment double checked. I am thinking on a third shot at it before I replace the rack and pinion and sway bars. Overall, very happy still. My true love is the W123 Mercedes which is known for its longevity and durability, but my Old's in regards to part pricing and repairs and going strong at 229K miles is starting to rival my Mercedes.:thumbsup: