Amp & box size suggestions please...

jeremy

I wanted a little more punch in the trailblazer but didn't want a huge ass system so picked up a little 10" sub (ID10V3D2).

I have been out of the sub game for so long so I wanted a little but of help. Any suggestions as to how many watts RMS to feed this thing? Suggestions on box dimensions/type?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I wanted a little more punch in the trailblazer but didn't want a huge ass system so picked up a little 10" sub (ID10V3D2).

I have been out of the sub game for so long so I wanted a little but of help. Any suggestions as to how many watts RMS to feed this thing? Suggestions on box dimensions/type?

Thanks in advance for the help.

The IDQ series Image Dynamics subs are my highest recommended subs. I built 3 boxes in the last 3 weeks for IDQ10 and IDQ12 V3 subs. The 10" in particular as a huge cone area for a 10" sub (399 square CM) that absolutely dwarfs other subs of its class, like the RE Audio SEX (310 square cm).

The subs works best as an SQ sub in a sealed box. What kind of music will you be using this for?

As for amps, at least 500W RMS of clean (CEA-2006 Certified) power. Something like this:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22574_Kenwood-KAC-9105D.html

Edited by xtremerevolution

I listen to a broad range :) ...Country to hip hop/rap to rock, etc....no metal though :)

~.9-1.1 cubic feet, well braced, double thick baffle, and line the back wall with 2.5"+ thick acoustic foam, mineral wool pad, or fiberglass pad (owens corning 703 or 705).

Examples (I have a whole ton more pictures of these boxes throughout the building process):

imag0201f.jpg

imag0207v.jpg

imag0218bl.jpg

imag0177ts.jpg

imag0191hq.jpg

imag0159a.jpg

I updated my earlier post with an amp recommendation. You don't have too much room to work with since you got the Dual 2 ohm sub, so you either run it at 4 ohms and try to find an amp that will give you at least 500W RMs at that impedance, or you massively overpower it with a 1 ohm stable amp. Not that it wouldn't work, you'd just have to be careful with the gains. If you know how to adjust everything well, move up to this amp and run the sub at a 1ohm load. It's what I would do. Much more difficult to ruin a sub by over-powering than by under powering and clipping.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23548_Hifonics-Brutus-BRZ1200.1D.html

Hiw many watts is your definition of "massively overpower at 1ohm?"

Thanks!

2x the RMS rating would be considered massively overpowered. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with it, you just have to know the limits of the sub and not try to get "Dual-12" Digital Deisgns" sound out of one 10" sealed sub. You will start bottoming out this sub long before you ever fry the voice coil due to thermal overload, and in an SUV, you will definitely hear it bottom out and know you need to back off on the gains.

The higher the power you have available, the more easily a few dynamic peaks will bottom out that sub if you're not careful with the gains. If you can respect the purpose and capability of the sub and adjust gains correctly, you'll be much better served with the Hifonics amp.

If you're looking for something used, just about anything that will be truly 1 ohm stable and CEA-2006 certified will have enough power.