Lugnut torque

ricklovin93

I never torque mine I just tighten them as tight as I can get it which IMO is good.

unbalanced lug torque can cause rotor warpage among other fun stuff.

100ft/lbs

that's what i use. works well for me.

Over torquing does not mean that it's on tighter and better. Just because it's tighter doesn't mean it will hold. There are reasons why engineers figure out the proper rating.

Ask Jamie how much fun it is when you over-torque your lug nuts and all 5 studs simultaneously shear off your RF wheel at 120 km/h on the 401

Whenever I get my car back from a shop (after inspection, or anything else) I always pop the car in the air and retorque the wheels. They just use impact guns and never properly torque.

I have also seen how a properly torqued wheel can extend the length of your brakes, and also we have so many hub problems already with W-Bodies, overtightening the wheels can add to those too I'm sure.

Torque sticks are stupid and inaccurate.

I have that same (or very similar torque wrench Purchased from Wal-mart) I have beat the crap out of it for years now, It seems to work good, and after all that is nearly spot on with my good craftsman torque wrench. I keep it just for lugnuts these days. Sometimes HF will price it as low as $10.

Stupid question, but how do you select the torque with the one I linked? Is there just some adjustment on there, or?

On the bottom is a knob, you loosen it, and then you twist the handle until the arrow is on the torque setting that you want, then you tighten the bottom knob to lock it in place.

When you are done you loosen and set to the lowest torque value, tighten, and store.

Thanks Chibi, nothing I could find online explicitly said or showed it was adjustable at all. Just wanted to make sure I was comprehending how these things work :P

Stupid question, but how do you select the torque with the one I linked? Is there just some adjustment on there, or?

The end of the handle rotates, and there is a lock nut to hold it down. Rotate to set the torque, and then tighten the lock nut to keep it from moving.

Edit: Bah! Chibi beat me to it!

Edited by spiderw31

Thanks Chibi, nothing I could find online explicitly said or showed it was adjustable at all. Just wanted to make sure I was comprehending how these things work :P

haha no problem! I believe that one has 10 lb. increments and dashes in between.

It's really easy to figure out once you are holding it

Actually, setting the torque wrench back to zero for storage can damage the springs causing it to not be accurate at all, or even break completely. The owners manual for mine says to keep it at the lowest torque setting (10 pounds for mine) to keep this from happening. We also follow the same policy at work, since apparently over the years we have broken many torque wrenches by setting them back to zero. We were actually recommended to leave them at the lowest torque setting by the company that warranty repairs every one of our torque wrenches.

The owners manual for mine says to keep it at the lowest torque setting (10 pounds for mine) to keep this from happening..

Exactly why I pointed that out in my post :thumbsup:

Actually, setting the torque wrench back to zero for storage can damage the springs causing it to not be accurate at all, or even break completely. The owners manual for mine says to keep it at the lowest torque setting (10 pounds for mine) to keep this from happening. We also follow the same policy at work, since apparently over the years we have broken many torque wrenches by setting them back to zero. We were actually recommended to leave them at the lowest torque setting by the company that warranty repairs every one of our torque wrenches.

This is what I meant, ignore my other post

I never torque mine I just tighten them as tight as I can get it which IMO is good.

replaced two lug bolts broke clean off

Hmmmm.

How the hell do torque wrenches like this work?: http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-239.html

Are they even worth a shit?

Cheap precision tools are often worse than no precision tools. They provide a false sense of security. "I" would give a Harbor Fright torque wrench a "flotation test".

Throw it in the lake or river: If it floats back to shore, take it home and use it. If not...