Annoying squeak?

ricklovin93

I have this annoying squeak coming from the accessory drive, I have replaced the belt and put a new belt tensioner pulley on any suggestions on what it could be?

take tension off of the belt(just set it aside really) and start rotating the pullies that can be rotated with the engine off

power steering

water pump

alt

you should be able to pin down which it is. if none of them make noise by spinning by hand, it could be the a/c compressor, but generally squeaks aren't the noises i hear from them.

I have this annoying squeak coming from the accessory drive, I have replaced the belt and put a new belt tensioner pulley on any suggestions on what it could be?

I actually have this deal going on right now. I isolated it down to the PS pulley while the engine was running by spraying light amounts of belt dressing on each pulley until it was obvious that the squeaking stopped very quickly. I'm currently not sure if I need to clean it or what, but it's still doing it and I'm not sure how to make it stop. It has a brand new belt but it did it with the old belt as well. It's not the pulley against the bearing, it's the actual belt riding surface, if I spray it with the dressing, it goes away, but it comes back within a short period of time.

You can tell it's just the pulley because there's no metallic noise. I can usually tell if a bearing is going bad because there will be a grinding noise associated, but this is just pure squeak.

I've been chasing a squeak on the blower drive on the monte. I have talked to some of the parts store guys that have taken seminars on belts from Dayco and Gates, and if the pulley's aren't perfectly in line/ parallel, they can cause squeaking. This can be confirmed by (I did this) spraying water on the belt to see if the squeak/ noise goes away. Sure enough, mine does just this. I've learned to live with it for now until I get around to replacing any culprit pulleys and re-checking alignment. Until then, the squeak almost disappears once it's up to operating temp. Even when cold, it's just a light, oscillating squeak.

I chased a squeak on my old white Lumina and it ended up being the Dayco belt I had on it. I switched to a GM belt and the problem went away. I was lucky...that usually isn't the case.

Well, I fixed mine today. Before I started it this morning, I decided to feel up the belt a little to try to feel the pulley grooves and alignment. The damn thing was sticky as all hell. That belt dressing made it sticky as fuck. Put some WD-40 on the P/S pump pulley and the belt, and squeak eventually stopped. :shrug: I was hesitant to do that, but it doesn't seem to slip and it's cured the squeak!

oil tends to make rubber softer and eventually degrades it, but how much that effects the life of a serpentine belt, i couldn't say. i'd buy a spare and throw it in your trunk, just in case.

• 9 months later...

if your pulley is wobbling, get it, and possibly the serp belt tensioner replaced... the pulley on the MC wobbled for a couple of years, then one day as Lizzie was heading to work, the plastic part of the pulley seperated from the center(metal) hub. turns out that the tensioner had been cocking the belt slightly sideways for a long time and it eventually worked the pulley off, killing a ~1,000 mile serpentine belt.