Adding steering wheel controls to a 05 Impala (doesn't work?)

nineseeone@yahoo.com

I have a 05 Impala that came wih a rds tape deck and no radio controls on the wheel. I just put in a wheel with controls and they light up but don't work. Does the radio need to be programed with a tech 2 or is there something else i'm missing?

Well I had it programed at the dealer and no go... It does have the correct clock spring but I think the connection is lost in the dash some where. Does anyone have the full pin out diagram for the radio and the clock spring. I'm looking to see what the blue and yellow wires do on the clock spring.

• 2 months later...

Hey there,

I think I have the answer for you, and, it actually might be an oddly simple one. All GM vehicles use a wireless trans-ciever system for steering wheel controls. It consist of the system in the steering wheel itself, and a small trans-ciever box located in the dash next to the steering column. If you are missing the box, there will usually be a small black plug that seems to have nothing to plug into it. This is the plug for the Radio Control Interface Module. This same module may also be used for digital climate control if so equipped. In that Impala where you got the wheel, look for this module.

I hope this helps,

Starflare5.

Really? On the HHR it's literally you plug the buttons in and they work.

Some vehicles already came with the box or have it integrated into the BCM since the signal travels down the E&C, Class 2, or GMLAN data buses anyway. Some have just the plug for it. This was simply an effort to reduce wiring and contacts in the steering wheel. I discovered the wireless signal interface when I read a repair manual that graphically displayed what looked somewhat odd to me in a schematic. It showed transmitters and recievers on both sides with no actual physical line between them, just arrows. That's how I figured it out. On most GM vehicles from 1989 and up, the transmitters and recievers in the turn signal switch are already there, but, without the interface, the controls simply will not work. Consult your GM dealer to confirm wheather or not you may have to change your turn signal switch, however, typically, you do not, but, there are those rare cases, especially if the vehicle is a base model.

post-4720-143689085852_thumb.jpg

Now, if only I could figure out the frequency of that signal in my car, I could probably get my steering wheel controls to work.

I hope this helps,

Starflare5.

Edited by Starflare5
more info added.

• 2 months later...

My diagram for a 2002 shows the clock spring, and I've wired in my own steering wheel control to USB converter for my carputer to the wire running down the steering column. It's possible they changed the design in 03 though, as there were some changes in 03 - 05.

swc.jpg