Sub box?

Lovemealumina

How come some ppl seem to always recommend u make ur own? Is there even a major difference? Because i wana get two Kenwood 12" subs in one box and idk if i should buy the box with em or make my own?

if you're just looking to get a bit of bump and not incredibly worried about SQ or SPL, buy one. Don't get the cheapest one out there, but there are decent prefab ones around. If you're serious about getting a certain sound or volume level, then build one, but be prepared to spend some time and energy getting it right, or else it's not worth it.

I've always used prefab boxes without a problem, but then again I don't do any competing or anything, I just tune my amp and HU until it sounds how I want it

Building your own box is way cheaper, and if you use a reputable design software, will sound tons better.

I build my own boxes, and on average they cost less than $40 each. All you need is a sheet of 3/4" MDF, wood glue, and either screws or brad nails (all these do is clamp the panels together as the glue dries.) And of course the tools to make the cuts: some sort of saw, and either a jigsaw or a router (I used a rotozip) to cut the sub hole.

Reputable design software? What do u use?

There are a few that people use.

Bassbox, WinISD, and UniBox. I use software that Jeff Bagby designed that probably no one here has ever seen.

However, knowing what you're looking at is just as important as the software. You need to consider excursion control, tuning frequency (for ported boxes), and cabin gain effects which will make even the results you get in all of those programs nearly useless.

I can design a sub box for you if you want to build one. Do you already have the subs purchased?

With regard to prefabbed boxes vs ones you make, I have yet to see a single well built prefabbed box. They're junk 99% of the time. They fall apart, or they have significant leaks, or what have you. If you do a job, do it right.

Where are you located? One of us here could also build you a box if you don't have the tools needed.

Edited by xtremerevolution

Im fairly sure i have what'll be needed, you helping to design it would be nice, ill contact you once i get the subs thanks

The reason why I asked you about the subs is because Kenwood subs aren't exactly great, and you may be able to find something significantly better for cheaper.

Ok that conversation aside..i heard Kenwood made pretty good products, i dont wana go too cheap..i want to spend a max of probly $120 tho, the ones im lookin at are $102 but u seem like u no what ur doing so im definitely open to ur suggestions

Edited by Lovemealumina

Ok that conversation aside..i heard Kenwood made pretty good products, i dont wana go too cheap..i want to spend a max of probly $120 tho, the ones im lookin at are $102 but u seem like u no what ur doing so im definitely open to ur suggestions

Im with Andrei that Kenwood speakers/subs are very poor. At that pricepoint i would look at Precision Power or Rockford Fosgate.

I would just go with a pre made box. Ive never run into any issues. Just make sure to get the right size box for the sub. And also get the right size amp to power them.

Im with Andrei that Kenwood speakers/subs are very poor. At that pricepoint i would look at Precision Power or Rockford Fosgate.

I would just go with a pre made box. Ive never run into any issues. Just make sure to get the right size box for the sub. And also get the right size amp to power them.

I've seen boxes literally fall apart. No joke. Others have terrible leaks, or last only a few months before they leak. But, you're more than welcome to try. If you do go prefab, get a sealed box. All prefabbed ported boxes are tuned way too high and sound like garbage.

PPI makes some very good stuff. Significantly better (IMO) than RF.

Make sure whatever amp you do get is CEA-2006 certified.

IMO,

Go to your local Walmart. They sell lightning audio, which is made by rockford fosgate. Get the best of everything that they have.

Also, they sell boxes there that the wood is already cut, and carpeted, all you have to do is put the boxes together. It's really easy. Super glue on the inside seams and where the wood joins up, no leaks!!

IMO,

Go to your local Walmart. They sell lightning audio, which is made by rockford fosgate. Get the best of everything that they have.

Also, they sell boxes there that the wood is already cut, and carpeted, all you have to do is put the boxes together. It's really easy. Super glue on the inside seams and where the wood joins up, no leaks!!

You should all take this post very serious.

You should all take this post very serious.

What about whether or not the sub is suitable for the enclosure being built? What happens when you use too small of a box, shoot up Qtc like crazy, and get a really boomy and crappy sounding box and wonder why, or if the sub is designed for a ported box, and you run it in a sealed box which won't control excursion as well, and you bottom it out on half its rated power, smash the former and voice coil, and you start making scratching noises. What if you do the same when using too large of a sealed box?

Those power ratings are after all thermal, not mechanical.

Edited by xtremerevolution

Very hard to gauge sarcasm through the internet?

I would only hope that he would laugh at my post.

BTW, hopefully Terry will be PM'ing you here soon.

It is indeed. Sorry about that. :(

yes i am still listening to u guys, sorry ive been real busy lately, but i appreciate all the help. Never realized how much went into all of this.

Well, I still need to know what amplifier you are using before I can recommend a sub.