Rust repair and paint work

tornado_735

Once I get everything mechanical squared away on the 95, I want to focus on the cancer that has eaten away a chunk of the quarter panel underneath the fuel door.

I know that anything quarter panel is kind of bad, damage or rust wise, but the rockers and floorpan are solid. The quarter panel underneath the fuel door seems to be the worse off.

What would be the best bet for getting this taken care of? Cut everything out that is rusted, and weld new metal in? Just getting rid of as much of the rust as possible, POR-15 the rest then bondo? I don't know much about body work, so I'll take all the advice and tips and direction that I can get.

Once I get that all squared away, I can move onto the paint. The clearcoat is pretty much gone on the tops of the B4U kit, the top of the rear bumper, and the front bumper. Would these parts be sanded down and primed and painted just like metal? Or is there a different process for them?

Thanks for any info that can be provided.

I would cut EVERY part that has rust on it, or else it'll come back. The quarter panel shouldn't be too bad since it's fairly straight there. Honestly though I don't know if you'd gain anything by using POR-15 or not. I just put some on my car so I don't know how well it works. I'm not sure if it's best to use it on already rusty surfaces or clean surfaces...

I'm not an expert on painting, but AFAIK you do the same to the plastics (bumpers and such) as you would the metal. Sand primer, paint. At least that's why my dad says, and he's a paint expert...

There is a difference when painting the plastics as they are flexible you have to use a flexible paint or it will chip and flake off under flexing. Especially on bumper covers. Apparently many paints now are compatible, but make sure the one you have is.

Please post on how it goes. I have rust (and I am sure many others) in the same spot on my 99 Lumina.

I'd like to see a Lumina without rust there! :lol: I was going to cut out that spot and weld some new metal in this summer, but money got the best of me. Maybe next year. Should be pretty easy though since the body is straight there, no curves or lines or anything.