Installed a 2004/2005 Saturn radio in a 1989 Cutlass Supreme - Yes, it can be done...

Starflare5

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd let you know, if you don't want to deal with alot of stuff like alot of re-wiring, and you want a newer factory stereo with RDS and even MP3 capability, then, you need not look no further than a 2004-2005 (and possibly newer) Saturn ION, Vue, or L-Series radio. Now first of all, some little facts about these radios:

- They were not made by Delphi/Delco and were made by Panasonic

- They have RDS and MP3 capability.

- Displays CD text as well.

- They do not require a data buss to turn on and, in fact, use all the normal power and lighting wires.

- They might be compatible with certain Panasonic and GM low speed LAN (also known as GMLAN 1) accessories.

- In order to install, it is very important that you get the GM blue plug 24 pin harness. No other harness will be compatible with this radio.

- The side mounts are not perminently attached like common GM Delco/Delphi radios and can be easily removed or changed.

- You may need GM mini-plug to traditional aftermarket antenna adapter for these radios use the traditional antenna plug.

Here are a few pictures of my acomplishment below:

post-4720-143689072678_thumb.jpg

It's extremely straight forward and simple to install, and is also still a work in progress. I still plan on getting the dash piece with the center console and carpeted back to house the unit. Also, As seen in the third picture, I did add an Audiovox Sound Exploder amp as a booster. I also plan on taking the face plate apart sometime and placing blue electrcal tape in the buttons to change the color.

For being a Saturn radio, it is not much different at all from the operation of a traditional Oldsmobile radio at all, and has great sound.

There are 3 versions of this radio with varying part numbers. A single disk CD (The one that is currently in my vehicle), a 6 disk CD, and a single disk CD and DVD playback unit. All 3 versions play MP3 disks and display CD text. All 3 have the pretty much the same wiring layout except for the DVD version because it may contain 2 additional wires for video output. There are also DVD Navigation units also made by Panasonic that use the same plug and an additional antenna for GPS navigation.

To remove the word "Saturn" from the front of the radio, you will need nail polish remover and a q-tip.

Here is the radio's pinouts as close as I could get them:

post-4720-143689072702_thumb.jpg

Please note that some of the "N/C" markings may mean different things for the different radios such as AMP ground or Video Out Positive and Negative on the DVD version. Recommended reverse aftermarket harness is the Best Kits BHO2102. It has all the wires you need for proper connection. The Power Ant 12 Volt Switched can also be used for amp turn on. Here is a good price and better description of the harness itself:

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/2669848/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

Deets on the vehicle: http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/50350-My-1989-Cutlass-Supreme-quot-Rocket-Rod-1-quot-Which-is-a-work-in-progress...?p=999124#post999124

Hope this helps you all in letting you know that a newer radio can work in your older W-body vehicle.

Thanks,

Starflare5.

post-4720-143689072621_thumb.jpg

post-4720-143689072642_thumb.jpg

post-4720-143689072663_thumb.jpg

Edited by Starflare5
additional notes.

I believe this thread is on how to wire a Saturn radio, not on WHERE to install it..... Not to mention the fact that he said he wasn't done yet.

That said, I think it's very creative and gives some of us another option!!

Steering wheel controls work?

Unfortunately, no they do not. From what I have heard, these radios do use the data buss line for the steering wheel controls just like the car's original radio would have, however, the issue here is pretty much that they are 2 completely different data busses. I have not found a translator yet that can be used to decifer the difference.

the big question...why would you do this lol? just because you can? or did u get it free?

just wondering lol

I did it because I wanted a factory radio with most of the features of current newer radios, and didn't want an after market in the car that says "oooohhh, look at me... steal me." Also, being that this radio has the guts of a Panasonic, I knew it would be a great stereo anyway. It's display also matches up with the DIC nicely as well. No, I didn't get it for free, but, I did get a deal. Was brand spanking new from a seller on ebay for $25.00 and free shipping. Now, of course I had to pay extra for the correct plug, but it still worked out better than what I would have to have paid for an aftermarket that just probably would have been stolen out of the car later.

I hope that answers your question/

Thank you,

Starflare5.

If I didn't like aftermarket radios' sound better, I'd have bought the nice Impala radio from the thrift store a long time ago, with RDS, etc. But I have aftermarket decks in both vehicles, and they sound much nicer than the stock stuff.

If I didn't like aftermarket radios' sound better, I'd have bought the nice Impala radio from the thrift store a long time ago, with RDS, etc. But I have aftermarket decks in both vehicles, and they sound much nicer than the stock stuff.

Truth! I've never a GM factory head unit that sounded better than a quality aftermarket one (JVC, Pioneer, Alpine, etc.)

Truth! I've never a GM factory head unit that sounded better than a quality aftermarket one (JVC, Pioneer, Alpine, etc.)

First of all... Take note that this isn't your traditional GM stereo. It's not made by Delphi/Delco. It's actually made by Panasonic with Panasonic sound and amplifiers. It's kind of like an aftermarket packaged in a factory radio's body. It also was traditionally the high end radio in the Saturn ION and Vue Redline. If you listen to the sound of it in the video of my car on Youtube in the "Deets on my vehicle:" link and posting, that's the radio playing without the booster amp. Also, just like most after market, you can add an amp, subwoofers and anything else in between to make it sound better, but, this didn't come with the high price tag or flashy look of most aftermarket units, and, it's probably the least expensive part of updating my '89 CS SL, but, it atleast goes with it and doesn't throw off the asthetics.

One of the funniest things is having one of these suppossed "knowledgable" GM dealers look at it and go "How did you get that to work?"

One other thing is this radio won't normally be found on a thrift store shelf because it's backwards compatible and can be cross platformed unlike many newer GM Delphi/Delco radios. No data buss is required to power on, however, I have heard that if you can find a translator for E&C to GMLAN 1, that this radio can display some of the information that the DIC does, but, I've only heard that and not sure if it's true. Anyway, my point is, this radio is not like any of the other GM units you find out there and therefore, that Impala radio would not work like this type does, because, chances are that that Impala radio may have worse sound, may not, but, one thing holds true, if it was a newer radio with RDS, that Chevrolet Impala/GM/Delco/Delphi radio probably would not work because it requires a data buss to power on and part of the vehicle's VIN number so that it wouldn't lock.

Hope this clears some things up for some of you.

Starflare5.

Edited by Starflare5

I actually tend to agree with you, I play with the stereo in almost every car I drive, and delco radios from the same years just don't sound as good as the saturn ones. The vue is a perfect example. The newer ones got delphi radios just like all the other GM cars and trucks, the one with the big volume control in the middle, but with an orange display. They don't sound anywhere near as good as the earlier vibes with the particular radio shown here.

Also, they don't seem to have the HORRENDOUS volume limiting/filtering that the newer delphi radios do. I don't care if it's the base or the uplevel, bose or not, those radios have an insane amount of limiting when you turn the volume up. Try it sometime, turn on a bassy song at moderate level, then crank it really fast. It'll get really boomy and distorted for a split second before turning itself down and flattening out the EQ. Really annoying, and it's becoming more and more obvious in factory HU's.

I actually tend to agree with you, I play with the stereo in almost every car I drive, and delco radios from the same years just don't sound as good as the saturn ones. The vue is a perfect example. The newer ones got delphi radios just like all the other GM cars and trucks, the one with the big volume control in the middle, but with an orange display. They don't sound anywhere near as good as the earlier vibes with the particular radio shown here.

Also, they don't seem to have the HORRENDOUS volume limiting/filtering that the newer delphi radios do. I don't care if it's the base or the uplevel, bose or not, those radios have an insane amount of limiting when you turn the volume up. Try it sometime, turn on a bassy song at moderate level, then crank it really fast. It'll get really boomy and distorted for a split second before turning itself down and flattening out the EQ. Really annoying, and it's becoming more and more obvious in factory HU's.

Very true, however, if you combine this radio with the 4ohm Delphi/Delco speakers from around the time when most Gen 1 W-body's were built, and it'll sound even better, which, I'm actually looking for those particular speakers right now, because currently, I have a pair of 6X9 VR3/Roadmaster speakers in the back from Walmart because the previous owner ripped out the originals and the VR3s really suck.

Anyway, thank you.

Starflare5.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried adding an Aux input to this by wiring the "R AUX IN" and "L AUX IN" and ground to a cable with a 1/8" jack?

Would there have to be a device that uses this harness to tap into, to get the radio to recognize that there's another device (similar to how you can tap into the harness to a hidden aux tape player with Pontiac CD players)?

Have you tried adding an Aux input to this by wiring the "R AUX IN" and "L AUX IN" and ground to a cable with a 1/8" jack?

Would there have to be a device that uses this harness to tap into, to get the radio to recognize that there's another device (similar to how you can tap into the harness to a hidden aux tape player with Pontiac CD players)?

Hey there,

Interesting question. Here is what I can tell you, The only pin I know of that can enable the AUX function by grounding out on this radio is the AUX Mono Enable in the 12 pin port. This also does enable the L and R AUX inputs as well, however, leaves you no way to control balance or fade. This will also put the radio in "Phone" mode whenever this pin is grounded. Also, for a simple AUX IN, if you use this method, 2 4OHM each resistors should also be used on both inputs, otherwise, the sound will be distorted and very low.

I hope I have answered your question.

Starflare5.