Wiper transmission & other wiper questions - 1997 Grand Prix

bourmanr

Hey all, I had posted on here a bit ago about the wipers losing home position, Well i am going to buy the new motor on friday, just want to make sure where the motor is located on the car and the best way to get at it? It is under the cowl thing that is under the hood isnt it? or is it inside the car under the dash?(I hope not) was able to get a whole motor and circut board for 84 bucks with exchange from the local auto valu store, not too bad i dint think, Thanks for any and all help! Bob

Remove or Disconnect

Wiper arm assemblies from wiper transmission assembly drive shafts.

Air inlet screen assembly from vehicle.

Connector (16) from wiper motor assembly (17).

Wiper transmission assembly (18) from wiper motor crank arm assembly (19) using tool J 39232.

Three screws (20) and wiper drive system module (21) from vehicle.

Wiper motor crank arm assembly (19) from wiper motor assembly (17).

Rubber boot (22) from wiper motor crank arm assembly (19).

Loosen screw (23).

Tap on screw (23) with a soft-faced mallet while holding up on wiper motor crank arm assembly (19) until wiper motor crank arm assembly (19) is loose on wiper motor assembly (17).

Remove screw (23) and wiper motor crank arm assembly (19) from wiper motor assembly (17).

Three screws (24) and wiper motor assembly (17) from wiper drive system module (21).

Shaft seal (25) and water shield (26) from wiper motor assembly (17).

Install or Connect

NOTICE : Refer to Service Precautions .

Water shield (26) and shaft seal (95) on wiper motor assembly (17).

Wiper motor assembly (17) on wiper drive system module (21) with three screws (24).

Tighten

Screws to 7 N.m (62 lb. in.).

Wiper motor crank arm assembly (19) on wiper motor assembly (17).

Connector (16) to wiper motor assembly (17).

Turn ignition switch in "ACCY" position.

Set wiper switch to "PULSE" position. Wiper motor assembly (17) should be operating.

Turn off ignition switch when wiper motor assembly (17) is in the innerwipe position and not moving.

Disconnect connector (16) from wiper motor assembly (17).

NOTICE: Do not rotate wiper motor assembly shaft during installation of wiper motor crank arm assembly.

Install wiper motor crank arm assembly (19) on wiper motor assembly (17) while maintaining. a 4- 8 mm (0.157-0.314 in.) gap between wiper motor crank arm assembly (19) and bracket tab (J).

Install screw (23).

Check gap between wiper motor crank arm assembly (19) and bracket tab (J). If gap is not 4 - 8 mm (0.157-0.314 in.), remove crank arm assembly (19) and repeat installation step 3.

Tighten

Screw to 16 N.m (144 lb. in.).

Rubber boot (22) on wiper motor crank arm assembly

Wiper drive system module (21) on vehicle with three screws (20).

Tighten

Screws to 10 N.m (88 lb. in.)

Wiper transmission assembly (18) on wiper motor crank arm assembly (19) using tool J 39529.

Connector (16) on wiper motor assembly (17).

Air inlet screen assembly on vehicle.

Wiper arm assemblies on wiper transmission assembly drive shaft.

operate wipers and check for proper operation.

I dont know what it is called, but I replaced the wiper motor on the wifes grand prix, the wipers were working fine, but on intermitint they still stop in the up position, so i figured they that the thingy that goes on the wiper motor was on in the wrong position, so i went and readjusted it, now they stop in the down position but wehn you shut them off they go to the up position, wth, so i take it apart , start it let the wipers cycle to home position, put it back together, and nuttin, they try to move but dont, so it comes apart again! Rotate the thingy on top of the wiper motor again, and now they work, but as said B4, they work good in the intermitint mode, but park in the up mode? I am at a loss and ready to blow it up!! It is a 97 grand prix by the way, and yes i looked at the park pawl, or whatever that piece of metal is called, it looks good....Thanks Bob

I did manage to get them to go to the home position when you shut them off now, now the issue is when i use the intermitent mode they pause in the up position, not near as annoying as driving with them in the up position but still annoying! I do know that it needs new arms installed, cause the ones on it are completely stripped out. But yeah thats where Im at with it, thanks for any and all help, Bob

Is it possible that the wiper transmission is the cause for my wipers to not go back down while being used in the intermitent mode? I did replace the the wiper motor and that did not help, I look at the park pawl and that seems to be fine, i know the wiper arms a stripped to but i have them tightened down to where thye will work till i get the new ones in. Thanks for any and all help! Bob

so when they pause between wipes, the wipers are in the up position. And once you turn the wipers off, they return to home?

yeppers that is what they are doing...

I'm just posting to let you know that I merged all three of your "wiper" related threads. From now on, please reply to your original thread if you need to ask additional questions about the same basic topic. You can edit your thread title to reflect an updated question by the way. See this thread for details on how to edit the title: http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/46678-Editing-thread-titles