Will Modern GM Wheels fit on the FWD Supremes?

johnnyride

Hi guys,

I'm new here and I'll bet this has been addressed a million times, but will larger modern GM wheels fit on the early 90's Cutlass Supremes? Is there an interchange list somewhere? Thanks, john

depends, really. Some use 5 x 110, some use 5 x 115, etc. You have to watch the offset, too as 42mm offset wheels from say a 3rd gen w-body (same bolt pattern as yours) will rub the front calipers. Hopefully someone has an actual list of platforms w/ bolt patterns and offsets.

Paid $1000, they were brand new take offs with Bridgestone Turazas on them.

Niagara Falls NY a couple yrs ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I sure hope so because I have an 89 Suprems SL with 14" standard "diamond mags" and bought a set of 4 - 5 spoke 16" rims with tires 215/60/16. GM offered 16" on the International, but I don't like that style but the ones I got were available on the Cutlass convertibles from 1993 to 96. The lug pattern is correct and the offset appears to me OK. The only problem may be that since the 16 in rims and tires are 1 in. taller than the 195/75/14's that are on the car now. It should clear and I may end up with a small speedo error. I'll let you know what happens.

Hi guys,

I'm new here and I'll bet this has been addressed a million times, but will larger modern GM wheels fit on the early 90's Cutlass Supremes? Is there an interchange list somewhere? Thanks, john

Simple answer.

No. Plug and play you will not be able to get them to work.

Complicated answer.

Can I put 16's, 17's, 18's etc on the car - YES.

The problem is that the early 90's models have some pretty radical backspacing issues, meaning that just about anything that you take off of late 90's and 2000+ cars like:

Bonneville, Grand Prix, LeSabre, Impala will not clear the brakes and will tuck in tremendously and not look right.

Those would be good examples of cars that would at least have the proper bolt pattern 5 X 115. Chinese Matt is right about the bolt-on spacers, but legitimately if you're considering that, you can go 5 X 115 to 5 X 120 or other such options, they're annoying and not overly cheap.

It's kinda like explaining Monopoly to someone who's never seen the game, so I guess if you have questions ask 'em.

There's numbers on the back of the rims. One will be an offset, your car will be approx +42mm. The higher the offset on the plus side, the closer the mate with the hub will be to the outer edge of the car. The lower the closer inside. Offset does not dictate backspacing, but often will be a good indicator.

A prime example:

1994 Grand Prix GTP rim is +25mm, you can replace it with an 1994 Cutlass Supreme rim that is +42mm

You cannot take the +52mm 1999 Grand Prix rim and stick it on either the Cutlass Supreme or the earlier model Grand Prix.

I sure hope so because I have an 89 Suprems SL with 14" standard "diamond mags" and bought a set of 4 - 5 spoke 16" rims with tires 215/60/16. GM offered 16" on the International, but I don't like that style but the ones I got were available on the Cutlass convertibles from 1993 to 96. The lug pattern is correct and the offset appears to me OK. The only problem may be that since the 16 in rims and tires are 1 in. taller than the 195/75/14's that are on the car now. It should clear and I may end up with a small speedo error. I'll let you know what happens.

Yes it works, we had a member here that did the exact same.

Use this site:

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp?action=submit

Your speedo will be 2.5% too slow, that's well within tolerance.

Overall difference in diameter is 0.64 Inch.