Trailing arm mount cancer!!!!

white4d96

The rust is back on the TA mounts. They aren't holey, but they are starting to pit. Last summer I wire wheeled them, rust primer'd, then grey primer'd, and epoxy'd, but obviously that didn't help. I was thinking about 'boxing' them with some steel plate, would this be a good idea? Or should I just give up and start looking for a shell?

They aren't weak yet (although they are dented in from my first failed attempts at lifting the car :bang: ) but I don't want them to get that way. Mra you and I are on the same page I think :thumbsup:

Go to a J/Y and grab a pair for cheap... Why have the headache? Or use this as a good time to upgrade to sturdier trailing arms.

The trailing arm mount attaches directly to the frame of the car and the frame of the car is what gets rusty... Upgrading arms will not help his problem

Had the car on a lift at my alma mater so I shot some current pics:

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

Concerning the salt crusted everywhere: it's been washed twice since these pics were taken yesterday morning.

Youre on crack to think those are an issue. You've got a decade left on those mounts before your car starts dogleggin down the highway one day and you realize what's wrong. Perhaps your car's in TOO good of shape and you're getting bored with it being so low maintenance :P If you absolutely have to do something to help yourself sleep at night, oilbathin em like Ken said would be helpful. But rest easy, my man.

They aren't an issue yet. But I don't want them to EVER be.

Not to mention this car hasn't been in Wisconsin for more than 5 years and they look like this already. And I'm sure you know once you start to see the rust it starts comin hard.

Edited by white4d96

• 3 months later...

In 4 short months these have gotten ugly. I'm thinking trying to blast them with some rust encapsulator/converter type stuff like POR15 or Eastwood frame coating, then welding some thick steel around them and boxing them up. Opinions?