Trailing arm mount cancer!!!!

white4d96

In 4 short months these have gotten ugly. I'm thinking trying to blast them with some rust encapsulator/converter type stuff like POR15 or Eastwood frame coating, then welding some thick steel around them and boxing them up. Opinions?

Just get aftermarket TAs and call it a day.

lolwut?

I should be able to make it.

Really????

Someone from the Chicago area at a Dayton meet???

Unheard of!!

Timmy doesn't count because his location is listed as: EARTH.

I don't understand why bombing them with primer and leaving it was an acceptable solution. Primers JOB is to absorb anything it can, and in this case moisture. top coat it next time.

por 15 the shit out of them. that's what i did, and mine look worse than that

How much cleanup did you do to the corrosion before applying the POR 15 to the nasty trailing arm mounts? Or did you just slather a bunch of the stuff over all of the existing rust?

I don't understand why bombing them with primer and leaving it was an acceptable solution. Primers JOB is to absorb anything it can, and in this case moisture. top coat it next time.

I didn't leave primer on it when I did them the first time. I wire wheeled them, primed them, and then painted them with one of those "stops rust" enamels (I think that was my mistake in hindsight :lol:)

I'm sure you're making them out to be worse than they are. You wanna see how far they can go before they fail? Let me look for Robert Saar's trailing arm photo.

This thread makes me feel good. Mine look a little better than the ones shown here and I thought that mine were getting bad. If you guys all think these look great, that's reassuring for me!

I'm sure you're making them out to be worse than they are. You wanna see how far they can go before they fail? Let me look for Robert Saar's trailing arm photo.

Or AMYs TA mounts

How much cleanup did you do to the corrosion before applying the POR 15 to the nasty trailing arm mounts? Or did you just slather a bunch of the stuff over all of the existing rust?

i gave them a good wire brushing, but that's it

• 2 months later...

HELP!! im about to put coilovers on my car right now, and as i was lifting my driver's side by the training arm mount, it was making the sound of rust cracking.. should i stop what im doing and start condsidering every next mile a sucess? or should i be ok for now since the entire weight of the car isnt being held up by it?

i NEED input like rignt now, please call me at 630-452-8462 asap please!

• 2 weeks later...

Different guy.

That being said, I want to get an Eastwood chassis kit and blast the hell out of those before winter hits to try and protect them at least a little bit. Within the next 1-2 winters they will need to be boxed for sure.

I'll add to this. I had the fuel tank out of my z34 last week for a new top seal.

the amount of rust under my car was driving me totally insane. wirewheeled the crap out of the whole area on both sides ended up coating the whole area in silver por15, silver because its closer in colour to the factory gray underbody. I need to post up pictures at some point.

The lack of rust my car has is pretty concerning for how old it and considering it's a MI car. I still found a couple of spots to wire wheel and put Por15 on.

Austin, your mounts honestly don't look that bad, I've seen far worse. Unless they have gotten worse since you posted the pictures.

The lack of rust my car has is pretty concerning for how old it and considering it's a MI car. I still found a couple of spots to wire wheel and put Por15 on.

Austin, your mounts honestly don't look that bad, I've seen far worse. Unless they have gotten worse since you posted the pictures.

They have.

They still aren't holey, but the one that dented in is really starting to get that way. I blasted them with some of that Eastwood Internal Frame coating, but of course, an INTERNAL coating isn't meant to survive rock chips and chit.