Slotted rotors - Who has them? I'm looking to upgrade my stock brakes

AWeb80

I rode in Jake's Cutlass vert when I was in Phoenix last summer, and needless to say his heavy vert stops BETTER than my GP. He has the slotted rotors and better pads (I don't remember the brand), Me, I'm running white box rotors and ceramic pads. I always knew my brakes weren't the best, but I was flat surprised when I drove his Vert, I'm sure he remembers.

What is the best brand of slotted rotors and which pads work the best. I'd prefer ones that don't dust too much. I"m tired of cleaning my x'laces after every auto-x and spirited driving session on the street.

btw, I'm not upgrading to 96+ knuckles and all that stuff for now. Just keeping my 94 stuff. I'll replace the brake fluid which I've been wanting to do for a few years now, but now will have the reason since I'm down there.

Those w/ the slotted rotors, have you had good luck w/ them? No cracking, poor performance from them? chime in please.

r1concepts rotors and bendix ct3 pads

one of my rotors did crack, but not from one of the holes. it was just a defect, but r1 had a new one to me in 2 days.

the pads i have are great, but i wouldnt reccomend them for you. they smoke up alot on hard stops, and with your autocross i doubt you want that. we will let andrei chime in now

Edited by jake91

I have ATE PremiumOnes(front) and Powerslots(rear) just because they were out of ATE at the time, with Hawk Plus pads. They seem to have a bit more bite, however they do produce a bit of break dust. Only had them for a couple years now say 10k miles. I prefer the design of ATE rotors, continuous cuts rather than several straight deep slots, and the coating has lasted a lot longer barely any rust.

r1concepts rotors and bendix ct3 pads

one of my rotors did crack, but not from one of the holes. it was just a defect, but r1 had a new one to me in 2 days.

the pads i have are great, but i wouldnt reccomend them for you. they smoke up alot on hard stops, and with your autocross i doubt you want that. we will let andrei chime in now

Adam, I made the recommendation for Jake's brakes, and they turned out to be excellent.

The rotors are from R1 concepts. I would get the slotted only rotors, not slotted and drilled. I'm finding that the rust likes to build up inside the drilled holes.

As for the pads, I mentioned to jake that the Bendix CT3's did smoke up on me on very hard stops, even though they bite very hard. For your purpose, I would recommend the Akebono Pro-ACT Ultra Premium pads. You can get them on Rockauto, and they're around $55 a pair plus shipping. I've used both pads on the Regal and the Akebono is a better all around pad. The Bendix pad is also great, but it doesn't like the heat very much, and when I replaced mine they were brittle and looked like a dried lake bed. A little too much abuse...

The Akebono pads are also very clean. No brake dust whatsoever.

To throw my hat in the ring, I would get the ATE ones if I decided to go that route, but my Raybestos supercrap normal rotors have held up really well, even with my Hawk HPS pads. Hawk HPS pads are super dusty, so it doesnt sound like they would be for you, but they stop supergood

Had slotted Gm rotors on the white lumina. Good for a while until they get warped. Now im just keeping regular rotors. Just upgraded the white luminas rear end to 94+.

What kind of rotors? Did they get warped because they were slotted, or because they were crappy rotors?

Reason I ask this is that I overheated the R1 rotors on the Bonneville to the point of complete brake fade (I could not even slow down) with ceramic pads, and those rotors didn't warp. The pads were trashed, but that's a different story.

The P O of the Goat put Premium cross-drilled & Slotted rotors on it. They stop VERY nice, and im not even sure what kinda pads they are. i have did some Hard stops 130-150's To 65 And they dont heat up to bad, don't see any brake fade. Great rotors.

What kind of rotors?
Had slotted Gm rotors on the white lumina. Good for a while until they get warped. Now im just keeping regular rotors. Just upgraded the white luminas rear end to 94+.

Adam, the wolf is loose! make your decision quick before a pissing match ensues!

A few things that may help:

Replace brake fluid. Actually should be done pretty often, especially if you are autocrossing. Brake fluid does boil, and does brake down quickly with excessive braking.

New hoses. Whether you just get OEM replacements, or braided (braided being the better choice of the two), you will have a MUCH better pedal feel.

Ever consider replacing your brake booster and master cylinder. While they may not be bad, 16 years on them while doing hard braking certainly does not help.

Otherwise, if you do have the smaller brakes, you are short changing yourself by not upgrading to the larger brakes.

Good pads and rotors make all the difference.

If you want to go slotted or drilled, go slotted. For the everyday type of driver, blank rotors are fine. In fact, most higher end or luxury manufacturer's only put drilled or slotted rotors on them from the factory because the owners expect them on there (all about looks). The only added benefit is getting the heat out in excessive braking applications (such as doing some sort of racing).