2006 Impala TPMS Question

Hairdo12

Whats the deal with the TPMS sensors; do they have a battery in them? I put my snow tires on today and tried to do the sensor re learn and I can only program the passenger side front once out of 6 tries and the one time I got through it, it then failed on the passenger rear. The wheels are from a 2007 impala lt or ltz, 17 inch rims. I had the service packs installed when the tires were put on the rims, however that only includes a new valve, nut, cap and gasket. I would expect if there was a battery it would be in this pack.

The whole TPMS just pisses me off. I already hate it. If I park my car outside and its 25 degrees, the pressure drops to about 27psi and I get an alert that goes away once the tire warms up. In the garage at 50 degrees, 31psi and no problems. Nothing pisses me off more than dick head lights and alerts lighting up my dash like a christmas tree.

The steps I took:

1 filled all tires up to 42psi

2 activated tpms relearn in dis

3 programmed driver front by letting air out for a count of 10, wait for horn chirp

4 tried to program passenger front by letter air out for count of 10... nothing for a while then double chirp and program failure

4a steps 1-3 then let air our of pass front for almost 40 seconds until almost only 10psi left in the the tire... failure.

the batteries should last around 7-10 years.

Sounds like you have a dead sensor.

Sensor may have been damaged when the new tires were put on. Ive never broke one, but I know the other guys break a lot of them cause they are dumbasses:lol:

Probably a failed TPMS. BTW, I have NOTHING but trouble with the "let the air out" method on GM vehicles. Try and find a shop with a proper TPMS learn tool. I'll bet they'll get it figured out.

I wonder if I can program the drivers front for all four wheel positions. I have no problems with that one working. I'll give it a try and see what happens... I predict failure.

yep, it failed.

Both passenger sensors are shot. I'll pick up a set of 4 on ebay for $90. I also might try to pass these wheels off as being the ones covered under the certified warranty when I get the high pressure PS line replaced this month under recall. worst that could happen is they figure it out and Im left needing to fix it at my own coin....or just put up with the message at startup for 4 months.