Say I had a lugnut that was stripped...

Psych0matt

I didn't have oil (although I would have), but that was just a random bit lying around, which probably wasn't too sharp to begin with. I'm pretty close, but not close enough. I have to go to work for a meeting tonight, so I'll pick up a bit or two and some oil

Since the lugnut is almost all gone anyway try drilling into what's left of it and then place a piece of wood at the back of the wheel and use a BFH and watch how that biach come off. Make sure you have clearance and there is nothing in the way you know like people, pets, other cars. The time that you are spending drilling into that long stud you could be drilling at the lugnut. All you have left is the acorn portion. Drill it out as close to the stud as you can and once you break the thread contact in one spot it has no choice but to come off using the BFH AS DESCRIBED. Just a few tricks of the trade.

Edited by thatcutteeboy

I have a 5/8" drill bit from Napa for this very reason. Stays on my tool cart at work. Costs around $25. I use PB Blaster as 'cutting oil' to keep the bit cooled down.

Keep drilling until you are around 1/4" below the beginning of the tapered seat of the lugnut. By that time you should see everything start to seperate and a simple whack on the wheel will get it off.

I have had to do this numerous times at work. You will not be able to brute force it without fucking something else up severely.

Get a good drill bit, keep drilling.

Yeah, a good drill bit, and some time is your best bet.

However, i have cut the stud from behind, although we were already changing the hub/bearing so it didnt matter if we barfed that up a little.

5/8 you say? I was gonna get a 1/2, but you seem to have done this before :lol: I'll grab one at work tonight and hit it again when I get home.

If that doesn't work, I'll try from behind, I'm not at all scared to put a new hub on

Grrr, bought a carbon 1/2 bit (didn't have 5/8), and it's so amazing, part of the tip broke off right away, first try :cussing: I ended up using some other bits and got pretty deep into it but still wont quite come off. I'm gonna exchange it for a new one tomorrow as well as get some other bits to maybe do some shallower ones first. Either way, I'm still stuck. Oh well, I wanted a project, I got one :lol: