big brake upgrade on LTZ

Firen81

Well, its been a while since I've posted anything on here, so for refresher, I've got a 1998 Lumina LTZ, with a use to put the wonderful F-body upgrade onto it. I'm getting the brakes off a 4th-gen firebird/trans am, and have a few questions about the swap. I do have the 16 inch rims, so they should fit in that regards, but here are the questions:

Firstly, can you swap the rear's from the F/B over with no major modification, seeing as it has a different parking brake setup, and if so, how is it done.

Secondly, if you can't swap the rears, what's a good alternative?

The F-body big brake upgrade that you speak of, is only for 2nd gen W-bodies. Yours being a 1.5-gen, has the same brake and front suspension hardware as a 1st gen. In other words, no F-body parts will bolt on. You're looking at major surgery, welding and cutting, to get those F-body parts to fit. I'm not sure if you planned on doing major surgery to your car or if you thought it was a gen 2, but just thought I'd point that out in case the latter is the case.

That's what I was really afraid of.....well, are there any alternatives to the swap? My rotors warp like crazy, even while my dad owned it since new. I'm really trying to get some more longevity out of my brakes, and I thought the swap would help seeing as there's more surface area and a broader base of brake parts available .

I knew it was a 1.5 gen, but I was hoping that the brakes would have gotten the 2nd gen upgrade.

Edited by Firen81

Without doing the above mentioned welding and cutting and fabricating, or purchasing this: http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/first-generation-wbody-big-brake-upgrade-13qu13.html, there are no other options than purchasing good pads and rotors.

Now, keep in mind, the link posted has gone through great discussion on here. While he has the kit on his car, he has not provided any test data, and seems rather unwilling to do so. And.... that's a lot of cash.

yeah, seems a bit of overkill, has no data, and also involves me getting a new set of rims, which is way more money than i was ever willing to spend. anyone else got any other ideas? I might be getting a set up that my boss at the shop and i came up with: power slot slotted brake rotors and delco hard compound brake pads

Funny that you talk of upgrading your brakes, I upgrade my cars to the brakes that yours came with stock!

Edit: if you are just talking of rear brake upgrade Bob did a gen2 rear brake setup on his 95' cutlass. I believe he had a writeup somewhere on it.

Edited by White93z34

Gen 1.5 rear disc is the same as the Gen 1 94+ rear disc. Absolute shitt rear brakes. Calipers are junk among other tthings

Yes, the Gen 2 rear disc brake swap is tthe best bet for tthe money. You get aluminum rear knuckles (much lighter than the cast iron on Gen 1 and 1.5 stock) and calipers rarely rarely rarely ever seize up and work much better. Sans the ebrake drum setup on the inside thatt I never installed, the setup is much simpler and lighter.

Lett me put itt this way, if im hauling ass around a hard corner and slam my brakes, the rears grab hard enough now to make for some awsome drifting action!!!

and tthe car is an automatic, who cares aboutt the parking brake??:thumbsup:

I've never had a problem with the 94 rear brakes on my Cutlass since I installed them in 2000 and no problems with them on the 94 since I got it in 2002. Maybe it's because it doesn't snow that much around here?

Too much rear brake bias (enough to cause oversteer) would be considered a safety hazard for the average person.

I'm new to w-bodies and so far I've liked the 4-wheel discs on my 9c3. Seems to stop great both in a straight line and when cornering (for stock brakes, of course). However, just yesterday I noticed some noise coming from my right rear wheel when braking. Sounds like a warped rotor to me and I noticed the OP mentioned having such problems. Is this a common issue with these cars (or rather, these particular disc brake setups)?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm new to w-bodies and so far I've liked the 4-wheel discs on my 9c3. Seems to stop great both in a straight line and when cornering (for stock brakes, of course). However, just yesterday I noticed some noise coming from my right rear wheel when braking. Sounds like a warped rotor to me and I noticed the OP mentioned having such problems. Is this a common issue with these cars (or rather, these particular disc brake setups)?

Check the rotors and pads, they seem to make a noise like a warped rotor or a bearing when they get low. its something that plagued my car for a month, then out of nessessity, I changed the rear brake material, only to have solved that issue....even all the mechanics i worked with thought it sounded like a berring. its seems a pretty common issue with that setup, and I would know, my family has owned the car since new. also, you'll notice that the front rotors like to warp like crazy if you get cheep ones. go with Factory replacement, or a company like PBR brakes, they seem to last longer, especially if you get good material...none of that monroe, lordco, jasper, or any other budget brand brakes. go PBR or better. I work for a shop, so it makes that kinda stuff a little more inexpensive, but there's always parts places that are willing to deal, or at least have sales etc.

Hope your 9c3 survives....most cars never seem to drive the same after they've been damaged like that. It really is a shame.

Typed this out a while ago, but it seeps that my computers at work won't let me. The brakes on the rear seem to start sounding like a warped rotor, a wheel bearing, or anything similar once the brakes wear down. Just change the material with some good material such as PBR, delco etc and have fun