PROJECT: 1996 Buick Regal 3100

RYS

My girlfriends sister had a 1996 Buick Regal sedan with 140k on it. She bought a new car and was trying to sell it. Someone comes and looks and it is leaking coolant. Not interested. So she was going to junk it. I threw her a few bucks for it and now it's mine. I determined that the lower intake gaskets were failed, what a surprise! This particular car has the 3100 V6 engine that is notorious for this problem. The outside color is a dark red and so is the cloth interior. There is some rust on the lower rocker panels but they are not completely gone. The tires were shot. I had a 1997 Oldsmobile 88 with like-new tires and alloy wheels. The motor had some serious issues and the body was damaged. This Regal had bald tires with belts showing on steel wheels and no hubcaps. So I swapped the wheels, sold the 88 to a junk man and bought the Regal.

Now I will bring it back to life and get it ready for any potential buyers.

Here are some before shots of the engine bay before I started the work.

dscf1712d.jpg

dscf1711.jpg

I am going to clean each piece I remove from the engine before I replace it and the engine bay itself.

Upper intake and valve covers removed.

dscf1713c.jpg

Leaky gaskets. Coolant was actually pouring out of the other side.

dscf1715g.jpg

Lower intake removed.

dscf1716f.jpg

Just as I suspected, the gaskets are shot!

dscf1717d.jpg

This intake reseal job is now complete. I also took the time to replace the air filter, plugs (AC Delco), wires, serpentine belt, PCV valve, valve cover gaskets, thermostat, put in fresh coolant and changed the oil.

I spent a few hours buffing the paint bringing some of the shine back. The paint is original and is loaded with scratches. There are a few interior pieces that need replacing. It needs screws for the window switches, the passenger side vent surround and a hood release cable. The interior also needs detailing which will be done soon.

dscf2083.jpg

dscf2084p.jpg

dscf2085r.jpg

dscf2086t.jpg

dscf2087z.jpg

dscf2088h.jpg

dscf2089z.jpg

dscf2080a.jpg

dscf2081wu.jpg

dscf2079r.jpg

dscf2082.jpg

dscf2090s.jpg

Window switches need securing and it's missing the vent trim on the passenger side.

dscf2091e.jpg

dscf2092q.jpg

dscf2096d.jpg

dscf2093y.jpg

dscf2095h.jpg

I would like to add that not only did I do the intake gasket and add the wheels/tires I did the following:

- Upper and Lower intake gaskets

- Valve cover gaskets

- Air Filter

- PCV Valve

- Serpentine belt

- AC Delco spark plugs

- Wireset

- Thermostat

- Coolant

- Oil and filter

Thanks for checking it out!

Thanks guys I have it listed for 1500 obo. I already have someone on it. A young girl who needs a first car. This should be perfect for her. Her dad approves. Just waiting to see if she really buys it.

• 2 years later...

Just bought a car just like it nut there is a conector that I kan find where it goes its orange and black and is komeing from the driver side by the window and by the brake fluid

Thanks guys I have it listed for 1500 obo. I already have someone on it. A young girl who needs a first car. This should be perfect for her. Her dad approves. Just waiting to see if she really buys it.

Just bought a car just like it nut there is a conector that I kan find where it goes its orange and black and is komeing from the driver side by the window and by the brake fluid
Good God does alcohol not go well with a keyboard:think::lol:

2 Pin plug with orange and black wire is the underhood lamp Homie. That Regal has 10,000 miles on mine and is a ton cleaner, lol. I Love my 96 Regal though.