Power Antenna Interchange?

Galaxie500XL

I've got a '95 Cutlass convertible, the power antenna is stuck in the "up" position.

Been trying to find another, but haven't found one like it in the junkyards.

Been noticing several Regals in the junkyard, and the power antennas seem good on several, but I'd prefer having the antenna pointed straight up, rather than the angled back look on the Regals.

Are the antennas interchangeable? I had in mind using the mounting stuff on my Cutlass to point one of the Regal antennas straight up. I know there's a difference in diameter between the chrome and black antennas, but is the mounting hardware interchangeable, and is the wiring the same? I'd much rather have a working chrome power antenna than a broken black one...

I used a power antenna from a firebird convertible. The bracket was different and took a little adjusting to get it to work.

...mine is angled like the ones on the regal.

post-4527-143689041946_thumb.jpg

I hadn't considered Firebirds...the local J/Y only wants $15.00 for the Regal power antenna...I believe I can live with a chrome antenna, until I find a proper replacement later.

Thanks for the idea!

Well, I answered my own question. Got one from a '92 Regal. Used the mounting hardware from my original antenna, which allowed it to stand straight...used the black ferrule that came with the Cutlass, and the Cutlass rubber adapter to the body.

Only two real issues, one minor, one a little trickier. In order to get it to stand straight, the antenna is mounted 180 degrees from where the original antenna was, I just turned it until I could get the screw in the bottom to thread from the bracket to the motor. No big deal, it isn't in the way, nor can it be seen.

Wiring was a little trickier. The antenna that came on the Cutlass ('95) didn't have a relay mounted to it, none was required. On the antenna from the '92 Buick, there was a relay mounted on the antenna shaft housing. Make sure if you do one of these, get the plug and wiring that goes from this relay to the donor car's wiring harness...there's plenty of wire there, just snip off a good chunk.

The '95 Cutlass uses Black-Orange-Green to the power antenna....the Buick uses Black-Orange/Black-Pink wires. Match the Blacks, and the Orange to the Orange/Black, and the Green and Pink together. Works great after figuring out how to wire it... I cut my Cutlass's wiring at the old antenna motor, so as to preserve the original wiring. I could hook up an OEM antenna just by undoing the harness, and plugging in the replacement antenna.

It doesn't look bad, since I post-4483-143689041963_thumb.jpgused the black ferrule from my old antenna, it's not really that noticeable that it's not the correct antenna...

post-4483-143689041951_thumb.jpgTotal cost, $15.00 at the junkyard, and about 2 hour's work...most of which was figuring out how the wiring needed to be done.

Thanks...it's been bugging me for awhile that it didn't work..I think I'll leave it like it is awhile.

Very nice install. I just swapped over to a fixed-mast antenna from a power and I got mine out of a 2000's buick century. They all seem to work pretty well in other applications with minor modifications. I decided to go with a fixed antenna just for ease of installation, power antenna's in good shape around here are kind of hard to find.

Best bet I've found on getting a good replacement are the Regals...most of them around here seem to have been kept in a garage, which cuts down on the amount of garbage the mast picks up. The cleaner it stays, the longer it lasts...

You can swap antenna tubes if you just want the different color. If your old antenna mast is okay, you can swap the tube and mast into your new motor assembly. I swapped a black tube and mast onto my chrome motor assembly from a 1990 because I wanted a black mast on my 89.

I debated doing that...but since my black mast was the problem, I left well enough alone. I saved my old motor assembly, I may attempt a repair.