how to remove outside windshield trim

dodgeman

I've never done it myself, but from past posts, it didn't sound too difficult. Obviously, the interior trim needs to come off to get at the screws holding the outer trim on. The "A" pillar interior trim is only held on by a clip at the top. Because of the halfassed way its attached, don't be surprised if one or both break off the trim piece and will have to be glued or plastic welded back on. The piece across the top of the windshield is basicly held on by the sun visors, and the corners by the black plastic latch pockets (phillips screws). It depends on how rusted/corroded the screws holding the outer trim on are as to how hard it will be to remove them.

Personally, I'd look into having the outer trim powdercoated. Way more durable. Probably out last the car :lol:

Ohh...I understand now on a convertible.

I have done this before and it really isn't that bad. Just be careful with your weather stripping.

1994cutlass155.jpg

1994cutlass156.jpg

Just to give you an Idea of what it looks like when off. Oh and there is this black foam stuff inside all of trim pieces that makes a mess when you take them off.

Everything from pin cup to pin cup needs to come off to get off the top pieces ave the windshield.

Now for the "A" pillars the weather stripping needs to come off. Now I don't think you need to take of the interior trim pieces on the "A" pillars but I did and I broke one tab trying to get it off. So be careful there.

It's all with a Philips screw driver.

I'd be tempted once they are removed to strip them, and have them powder coated...

Would that be a good solution on the windshield trim?

Powder coat is a good solution for almost anything! They just have to be really well prepped because powder coat is notorious for highlighting any imperfections, like scratches.

Jamie