GEN III Heads

kadoi

Yes..they will bolt up. BUT, NO...your exhaust manifolds won't match up. The exhaust ports on the GEN IIs are round. The exhaust ports on the GEN IIIs are D-shaped. This has been discussed before :wink:

Plus, you would have to a whole GenIII top end conversion. Also, I have heard of guys having problems with the 3.1L computer doing a proper job of firing the plugs to work with GenIII heads. Not that the plugs wont fire, but the spark timing is just a hair off from what it needs to be to take full advantage of the GenIII head. You can P&P a GenII to flow pretty well, not as good as a P&P GenIII, but as good or better than a stock GenIII

Robby

sorry...didnt mean to annoy anyone...just that i can never get the search to work for me the way i want it to

You don't have to appologized. I wasn't annoyed. I was just letting you know that this topic has been discussed before..and in much greater detail than what I posted. Although Robby's post was very informative! :D

The reworked heads that Jeff M. is working on are supposed to flow just as good as GEN III heads...according to his site. :)

I know of many instances of the stock computer working with the gen 3 top end swap. Its not perfect obviously but its not so bad that you would think something is wrong.

I have also heard of someone porting the stock round exhaust ports to a D shape...same with the gen 2 heads.

I know of many instances of the stock computer working with the gen 3 top end swap. Its not perfect obviously but its not so bad that you would think something is wrong.

I have also heard of someone porting the stock round exhaust ports to a D shape...same with the gen 2 heads.

Yeah, when you run an n/a setup with CR, it should show up more.

Robby

Great info guys, all I can add is since you have changed the cylinder fill timing and VE (chip will prefer changes to VEs table to match/take advantage of this change) with shorter runners of a 3100 top-end swap, then the cam needs very much to match that/be changed to a 3100 or if there is such a thing on the shelf, upgraded 3100 cam.

Jeff M

yeah, the problem is the 3100 cam is, as far as I know, the same as the 3.1L cam, except for the fact that the 3100 is a roller cam. Regrinds have been done, but there is no aftermarket cam specifically for the 3100. There are plenty for the 3.1L and some with very nice lifts and Adv. durations that complement port & polished 3.1L heads nicely. The best part is that most of the cams can be used with stock springs and valvetrain.

Robby

they no workie on me turbo? grrrrr.

I would love jeffs p&p heads but I can't save that much money.

I can pick a whole 3100 motor up for 49.99 at the Junkyard.

hmm how much the p&ped heads going to be?

marcus

Yeah, when you run an n/a setup with CR, it should show up more.

Robby

The gen 3 heads dont change the compression ratio.

Yeah, I know that. I meant when doing a rebuild with high CR pistons and 3100 heads.

Robby