3800 Series II V6 - were there ANY WITHOUT intake manifold problems?

2buickbob

Hi folks:

I've heard some people rave about their Intrigues (98 and 99) with the 3800 V6 (Series II) that went over 200,000 miles on their original powertrains. This is great.

I've always though of picking up an Intrigue (98 or 99) with a 3800 II V6 or a Grand Prix coupe (01 or 02) with a 3800 II V6, to eventually replace my 260,000 mile 92 Regal, but wanted to avoid the expensive intake manifold problem and the related damage this could cause elsewhere in the engine.

Is the crappy intake manifold construction common to ALL Series II 3800 V6s (quite a number of years, actually), or just certain years and ranges of engine numbers? Some beautiful cars are powered by this engine, that's for sure!

What do you know about the prevalence of the intake manifold issues on Series II 3800 V6s, or did some people just "luck out?"

Hi folks:

I've heard some people rave about their Intrigues (98 and 99) with the 3800 V6 (Series II) that went over 200,000 miles on their original powertrains. This is great.

I've always though of picking up an Intrigue (98 or 99) with a 3800 II V6 or a Grand Prix coupe (01 or 02) with a 3800 II V6, to eventually replace my 260,000 mile 92 Regal, but wanted to avoid the expensive intake manifold problem and the related damage this could cause elsewhere in the engine.

Is the crappy intake manifold construction common to ALL Series II 3800 V6s (quite a number of years, actually), or just certain years and ranges of engine numbers? Some beautiful cars are powered by this engine, that's for sure!

What do you know about the prevalence of the intake manifold issues on Series II 3800 V6s, or did some people just "luck out?"

Like Andrei said, they fixed it in 03... And if you're really worried about it in a pre-03 car, just go ahead and replace it(and you may as well slap a new LIM gasket on for good measure (it's not as hard as the 3100 is))... My LTZ got to near 150k and still going strong when I sold it on the original UIM though...

Hi folks:

Don't replace the '92!! EVAR! <3

Expensive repair?

Not even if you do it yourself.

Get GM gaskets and the reinforced manifold or switch to the metal upper manifold and bam problem fixed.

My car didnt do it till 162K

a reinforced intake? its a flaw by design. the egr stovepipe runs too close to the throttle body coolant passages, makes the surrounding plastic brittle, and it cracks and dumps coolant into your intake, potentially hydrolocking your engine. What you need is a different design. Dorman makes an intake with a redesigned stovepipe that provides some clearance around it. It comes as a set including gaskets.

This is a problem you'd be better off fixing before it becomes known to you, as it could be too late. It would suck royally to be driving at 80mph, have the intake crack, and have your engine dump coolant into your intakes. Really bad news.