OBD 1.5 Scanning Question

Galaxie500XL

I have a '95 Cutlass Convertible with the 3.4 DOHC...OBD 1.5. I have an Actron CP9110 scantool, which suprisingly does read fairly well on my Cutlass...it's somewhat limited in what it allows me to see; would love more.

A Tech1 tool is well beyond my budget, but I've seen where some guys are interfacing their OBDII cars to a laptop.

I've got a "retired" laptop, it's about 4 years old running Windows XP, and electronics training. Is there anything out there that would allow me to more or less replicate what GM did with the Tech1 tool on an OBD 1.5 car using the laptop, or at least get fairly close to that sort of functionality-on a tight budget?

download tunerpro RT, get an ALDL cable, done.

i made both the ADS and XDF necessary to monitor and tune $2E cars (94-95 LQ1).

I'm also very interested in this, can you point me in the right direction as to where I should get the ALDL cable and your ADS,XDF files?

ADS and XDF files are on the TP website, just check the downloads section.

cable: i like the one aldlcable.com makes. just make sure you get the correct one, since some of the 95 LQ1 cars got the obd2 connector even though it has an obd1 computer.

obd1 connector has 12 pins, while the obd2 has 16 and is shaped slightly differently.

ADS and XDF files are on the TP website, just check the downloads section.

cable: i like the one aldlcable.com makes. just make sure you get the correct one, since some of the 95 LQ1 cars got the obd2 connector even though it has an obd1 computer.

obd1 connector has 12 pins, while the obd2 has 16 and is shaped slightly differently.

http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/details.asp?item=aldlobd2u

That one is fine?

This looks exactly like what I had in mind...my Cutlass uses the old style ALDL connector...from the looks of it, I'd be better off with the USB cable, since it wouldn't need to be plugged into the lighter socket.

You said "tune"...do you mean with that setup, I could modify the software in my ECM?

no. no tuning through the ALDL port unless you're running a OBD2 vehicle or a 94-95 LT1... thats the only OBD1.5 ECM thats been cracked as far as i know(my definition of 1.5 meaning earlier than 96 and using a flash PROM). there are ways around it, but i've been criticised quite a bit for even mentioning my method...

I want to hear more about this and how this is all done. What benefit would it be to be able to read the tables on this pcm? can they then be modified?

I'd love to hear of your methods, on here or in a pm. i'm quite intrigued.

Same here...I'm intrigued...I was under the impression that OBDII cars were the only ones that could be modified. :biggrin:

I want to hear more about this and how this is all done. What benefit would it be to be able to read the tables on this pcm? can they then be modified?

I'd love to hear of your methods, on here or in a pm. i'm quite intrigued.

essentially what i have done is remove the obd1.5 PCM from the monte and replaced it with the PCM from a 91-93 GP with a 3.4. now whatever tuning capabilites a 91-93 GP3.4/Z34/CS3.4 has, i now have them as well. and this is one of the most well-documented GM ECMs, behind the 1227749(syclone/typhoon), and 1227727(in LOTS of stuff).

in really simple terms: i have a 91-93 Z34 running a 3100(since thats what my monte came with, but a 3900 is in the works...), with a 95 monte carlo body/suspension.

that description sounds like shit, but considering the cost it took to get there(less than $200, including ALL tuning equipment), its not bad, considering the only thing i lose is SFI capability and possibly ABS... and i also have the option of running a manual tranny now. the 4t60e is only staying in long enough until a can source/pay for either a 282 or F40.

lucky for you, you wouldn't lose anything on your regal since you're keeping the same PCM, just changing codemasks.

Would that also be the case with my '95 LQ1 Cutlass?

essentially what i have done is remove the obd1.5 PCM from the monte and replaced it with the PCM from a 91-93 GP with a 3.4. now whatever tuning capabilites a 91-93 GP3.4/Z34/CS3.4 has, i now have them as well. and this is one of the most well-documented GM ECMs, behind the 1227749(syclone/typhoon), and 1227727(in LOTS of stuff).

in really simple terms: i have a 91-93 Z34 running a 3100(since thats what my monte came with, but a 3900 is in the works...), with a 95 monte carlo body/suspension.

that description sounds like shit, but considering the cost it took to get there(less than $200, including ALL tuning equipment), its not bad, considering the only thing i lose is SFI capability and possibly ABS... and i also have the option of running a manual tranny now. the 4t60e is only staying in long enough until a can source/pay for either a 282 or F40.

lucky for you, you wouldn't lose anything on your regal since you're keeping the same PCM, just changing codemasks.

Did you make up that definition recently?

Because I e-mailed tunerpro only a few weeks ago and they told me OBD 1.5 LQ1 cars CAN NOT be tuned.

now reading your last post that tells me that you have switched to an older PCM, so your not really tuning a 95, your tuning a 91-93.

Jamie

94-95 LQ1s are $2E cars, and yes until recently it was impossible. enter my masterful skills. oh wow, they're tuneable now... :lol: and i wish everyone would make up their minds on what is obd1 and what is 1.5. the 94-95 LQ1s have removeable PROMs, just like the older ECMs. the 94-95 3100s have a flash PROM, like the obd2 setup.

and i started with a 95 3100, which is a flash setup(untuneable). so now yes, my car is technically a 91-93, but with a 3100 instead of either a 3.1 or a 3.4....

Galaxie500XL: your ECM is already tuneable for the same reason i mentioned above in reference to GTP_Munky's questions.

OK, maybe not weeks, it was in March...

And it was Tunercat and Moates that I e-mailed....

But they both told me it has not been done

E-mail from Moates March 26, 2009

Hi James,

I'm not aware of support existing for these applications, but I'm certain it

could be done if the software side was available. My hardware should work

for those vehicles to reflash.

Adding TunerCat to the CC list on this response, as he may have some

comments in this regard. If anyone is able to provide software support for

those applications, he'd be the one.

You haven't been the first person to request this sort of thing.

Best regards,

Craig

E-mail from TC March 31, 2009

Hi James,

Unfortunately, we don't currently have anything for these cars. They used a

unique PCM that was somewhat similar to the LT1 PCM but quite different when

it comes to the calibration and programming process.

Best regards,

TC

FWIW, tuning is over my head, so aside from the connector under my dash I have no idea what to look at.

Just going based on what 2 companies have told me...

on top of that Ben at 60*v6 has been trying to crack the 95 LQ1 ever since I bought my car but he has not succeeded.

So what your saying is I can now plug my laptop into the ALDL port on my 1995 LQ1 car, and go nuts with your program?

Or do I have to swap out the PCM for an older one?

Jamie

it sounds like TC got confused and was refering to the 3100 PCM, which matches their description exactly. Craig might have been talking about either one.

and feel free to ask ben now since he was testing the XDF i made for tuning the 94-95 LQ1 not too long ago. ATM we're trying to figure out if anything was missing from when i made my first pass through it.

download TP and the 2E XDF and see for yourself. its LOADED with everything i could find.

as far as swapping to an older PCM, that is also something i discussed with ben. its possible and a great idea if you have no idea what to do with a MAF system. about the only thing you need to add is a MAP sensor since the 91-93 and 94-95 PCM use the same connectors...

EDIT: Artemis: the cable won't make a difference other than matching the one your car came with. i can use a OBD2 cable with any OBD1 car( and vice-versa), so long as i swap the connectors on the car. 10 minute job. but if you already have the 16-pin connector and a 16-pin cable on the way, you have no reason to need another.

basically, the connector doesn't matter. it will work with whatever it will plug into if its a OBD1 ECM.

download TP, and the 2E XDF and you'll see. its a gigantic F'ing list.... including stuff i couldn't decode....

unfortunately i don't have any 2E BINs...

EDIT: for those that don't want to DL it, here is a TXT containing everything i found. NONE of the values are correct due to me not haveing a 2E BIN for it to convert correctly. that doesn't mean its shit, it just means with a proper BIN, it will look right

How do you get a 2E Bin?

I just heard back from Ben... long story short, this is still all useless to me (and any other 1995 LQ1 owner)

In other words...

1995 OBD 1.5 LQ1 CAN NOT be tuned at this time...

Jamie