wtf x 238540324850435

kuntzie

so i got an alignment done since i lowered and did the trans swap on the 2001..

even before lowering the rear passenger side was definitly not right, it was smooth and drove well but it just stickes out... far.

anywyas.. i thought an alignment would fix this....

drivers side... looks good.. some camber but its not bad at all..

CIMG0814.jpg

CIMG0815.jpg

CIMG0818.jpg

CIMG0821.jpg

passenger side... as you can tell there is something not right.

CIMG0816.jpg

CIMG0817.jpg

CIMG0819.jpg

CIMG0820.jpg

bofore i go any further... the rims are al the same, i confirmed by swaping them aswell BUT... there is about 1" or so inner clearance on the drivers side... which is accutate to my calculations (8" + 38mm offset vs stock 7.5 @ ~ 50mm) and the passenger side has about 3" of clearance to the strut...

i dont know if maybe the knuckle/ strut assembly are from a different model year or model in general and causing this problem...

as you can see the passenger side tire is out WAY to far.. the strut was replaced ( f0rge? danger d?) give me some input if one of you changed it... anyways, one of the lower strut to kuuckle bolts was shaved down... like the part that grips into the kunckle, so i thought that was very weird aswell (i fixed this though already)

any input is appreciated... the car drives fine but this is really a pain in the a$$...

also FWIW.. the body is original, no repair or anything making this just a body line issue rather then a suspension issue..

pics??

also the trailing arm is alot more rusty on the passenger side.. as is the strut ect, i wonder if something happenned back there and they replace it will crappy parts.

You did an alignment so I dont think it is a rear toe adjustment. But, it is possible that one of the following happend:

1) The strut that is installed the mount is not located the same. 3 holes doesnt mean that it will fit in there in anyway. all 3 sides are not the same.

2) one strut is bent.

pics??

I don't have any straight on shots nor do I still have the car to go take some or I would....maybe one of the other guys with them could hook you up with better pics, but here is the best one I had

96a883a3.jpg

4 wheel... and jeremy, i think my drivers side is still closer then ur but its hard to tell.. nowering the car makes a difference so it will tuk away up top more..

and that still doesnt explain the inner clearance to the strut... why is the passenger one like 3" and the drivers about 1" or so..

the mother fuckers didnt do shit at all.. FUCK! the lateral links are untouched. not adjusted whatso ever.. an why was the strut so far apart! because...

look at these lateral links.. do they look like they have been adjusted recently?? 100% no, not a chance.. but look at this strut bolt hole comparison.... why has this beeen moved and why can i fit my finger in between on the passenger side?? this would explain the top sticking out to far!

CIMG0824.jpg

CIMG0828.jpg

CIMG0835.jpg

CIMG0836.jpg

CIMG0838.jpg

CIMG0839.jpg

CIMG0840.jpg

CIMG0841.jpg

CIMG0846.jpg

CIMG0847.jpg

CIMG0853.jpg

CIMG0854.jpg

Take it back to the alignment shop and tell them to try again

im just going to tell them to give me my money back and to go fuck them selfs as there was clearly no effort into the rear of the car.

that works too

Honestly check out Queensway Autobody on Belmont. They specialize in repairing vehicles requiring use of the frame rack. They will be able to dial your suspension in, no problem.

the strut has been slotted to adjust camber once upon a time.. its factory appoved also..

unless both strut holes have been modified (ill look into this tomorrow) this will still have the bottom part of the tire out to far.. the lateral link, only 1 is adjustable so i can bring the tire in on both sides of it, unless there is something up with the strut mount aswell, then i would be able to get it close to the same as the other side i think.

any input?

a strut is easy to get another one if this ones not workign for me.

the strut has been slotted to adjust camber once upon a time.. its factory appoved also..

unless both strut holes have been modified (ill look into this tomorrow) this will still have the bottom part of the tire out to far.. the lateral link, only 1 is adjustable so i can bring the tire in on both sides of it, unless there is something up with the strut mount aswell, then i would be able to get it close to the same as the other side i think.

any input?

a strut is easy to get another one if this ones not workign for me.

Im not sure what your saying..

Seeming those look ancient and apprear to be factory and were hogged out to adjust camber, I recommend getting a set of KYBs (already slotted) and have it aligned..

Theres nothing wrong except camber is way outta spec... The car just needs a proper alignment.. Trust me, thats the main part of my job, alignment technician... :wink:

There is a chance they didnt touch the rear as toe was in spec, but some kids who are lazy or dont know what to do wouldnt have touched rear camber adjustment..

Also, when you take it to a real shop to be aligned, ask for the prior to alignment readout that shows spec AND tolerance... Tell them you dont want it in tolerance, you want it in SPEC!! Any good alignment tech will see its in tolerance and still adjust it to spec which the the proper way to do things..

I can set ANY car's alignment into tolerance, and have it pull like a bitch, drive sideways, or have it wear out the tires within 5000 miles...

edit* i guess a good question are if thes "specs" are accurate for this car or not, my vin number, make ect, arent even on this paper.. just" 2001 grand prix"

also i have the vechicle alignment report here... my camber was fine on both side on the rear, but as you can tell they did not attempt to adjust the toe on the right side at all, even though it was in the red. ( you can se in the pics they didnt adjust at all aswell)

also you can see the camber isnt bad.

along with all the other reds, this sucks.

top section is front, bottom section is back....

CIMG0857.jpg

also.. this bolt was in the car before i lowered it.. on the passenger side.

CIMG0858.jpg

anyways.. if the top bolt would have been in the factory spot, it would bring the top of the tire in right? this would cause more camber but with the toe also being off, and proably more so when the bolt get put back in its normal spot, woudnt this bring the tire back in properly or?

So my recommedation is to do this..

Either make sure BOTH struts are slotted to allow for camber adjustment, or replace them with aftermarkets that are already slotted

Take it in for an alignement and ask for a printout showing the measurments prior to the alignment

Have them align it. Look at the final printout, if everything isnt extremely close to spec, have them redo it.. I would watch them at that point.. Tolerance isnt correct!!!

Just in case you are wondering, they will be adjusting everything in these steps..

RR Camber

LR Camber

LR Toe

RR Toe

RF Camber

LF Camber

RF Toe

LF Toe

I didnt add caster in as its not adjustable on our cars.. If its out, its either cause the cradle has shifted and isnt aligned anymore, or the control arm, knuckle, cradle is bent

Normally caster is adjusted before front camber and toe..

Hope I cleared a few things up and now you can go to get an alignment armed with some knowledge on how its done and whats correct

Ok, I know exactly what they did..

So they didnt have to adjust rear camber, they moved the targets to make it into spec.. Ive seen it done.. I never have done it as I have enough morals to do the job right..

Rear toe wasnt done, they obviously only did a thrust angle alignment at that (front toe)

They did a shitty job on front toe.. With the wheel level, both the front toe measurements should be exactly the same..

And your subframe needs adjusted... Its too far forward and sitting a little to the right.. That would correct caster and help front camber a bit..

Notice how the RR camber final measurement has changed... :wink: Someone bumped a target back a little prior to hitting print :willynilly:

Fuckin hackjobs... Find a trusted alignment shop and take it there... Money well spent..

And by looking at your SIA/SAI, it tells me your cradle isnt much to the right, the front camber needs adjusting by slotting the front struts if they already arent...

do you know what the exact specs should be then? thanks for your help... and im aware the subframe could be out a little as its been removed before...

so is the RR easily fixable to be able to match the drivers side? as stated before camber doesnt bother me, but everything else does.

2 more alignments later and a bunch of bitching,, its now done..

result.. guy at mufflerman got fired, on the spot... once again he did not adjust the toe, he faked it... anyywas got my money back as i told them they pissed me off 1 too many times...

much better! id much rather have camber then a non straight tire..

CIMG0865.jpg

CIMG0868.jpg

CIMG0869.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

good explanation 1 loud cutty! I"ve seen shit done like that before too...fortunately now i'm in a better shop in town.

And yes, bad camber, especially in the rear will destroy tires. Usually lack of ratation can eat up the insides of whatever's up front, but even if you're rotating with camber like that in the rear, you're tires are gonna be toasted!