oil/coolant supply & return for turbo ???

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

ok i was checking out the turbo/oil supply & return lines on my TGP engine and wanted to double check if i got this right:

the coolant feed comes from the heater core pipe sticking out of the top of the water pump right? it then goes *down* and circulates thru the area of the block just before the oil filter. then it goes up and into the turbo. the coolant return line then goes thru the pipe above the valve cover and returns to the cooling system. or do i got it backwards?

and the oil. it looks to me like the oil feed comes from a braided hose coming from near the top of the oil filter and that turns into a pipe which goes to the turbo. the oil drain of course is that bigger rubber hose that connects to a pipe and then to the oil pan.

so do i got this right?

anyway this engine is going to need some mad cleaning. i haven't taken the flexplate off yet but there are freeze plugs that were obviously leaking. that wouldn't be too good with a clutch there so i'm replacing all freeze plugs (and rear main seal of course). it also looks like the rear cam cover is leaking and i hope that is just a gasket that is easy to replace.? tomarrow i'm going to the salvage yard in Buffalo to start pulling my 'new' Getrag 282, then i'm hauling it down to Laramie to do a quick weekend swap so i can drive the car back up to Gillette to start the turbo project. then i get to do it all over again :) i've already done it twice before so i got the process down pretty good...

my GTS is just going to have to wait till late Fall i guess....

joshua

I think the pressure to the turbo comes from the block from the tee off the oil cooler line. Reasoning is that the heater feeds from just below the thermostat as does the tb heater. The line that runs across the firewall and down along the fender splash panel and up to the top of the pump is the heater outlet. so I think all thoes pipes that converge on top of the pump are returns.

Yes there is a gasket at the back of the cam. p/n 010065415 if I have the correct receipt, just bought one for 6.94 at the dealer. :cry: It isn't worth 50 cents. Parts stores didn't have them. The book says use gasket cement on this gasket

Oil feed is correct.

Sounds like you have a couple of busy days ahead of you, Have fun. :P

Guest TurboSedan

ok i went back and looked at the TGP engine and i think i got it all figured out. EVERYTHING that goes into the top of the water pump is for coolant return, whether it is for the heater core, turbo, or TB. the turbo coolant feed actually comes out of the block right next to the oil filter, and then tees off to the turbo via a metal line. the other side of the tee cools the sandwich style oil cooler that the filter spins onto, and after circulating thru there it goes back up into the top off the water pump. the turbo coolant return is the pipe that runs above the valve cover and dumps into the top of the water pump. cool. i was pretty confused about the whole circulatory system for awhile there.

joshua

Yea it is kind of confusing. :? I had to find out when I removed that line that goes across the front of the engine. Just couldn't stand it there. All I really had to do was block off the tb heater and run a turbo water return line to the other side of the oil cooler with the same kind of tee that feeds the turbo. Glad you got it sorted out. Heres a pic without the water line.

jud

http://photo.starblvd.net/~sleeperred90tgp/1-1-4.jpg?i=1047897636

hey joshua,

send me your fugged up 282 and ill see what is wrong with it at school in class and see how much it is to fix it

i asked it the instructor had some he said he had a few foreign manual trans

i can find out how much the parts are and let you know and see if you want it fixed or not. but you will have an idea of what went wrong with it

all this is if you want to do this or not let me know.

Guest TurboSedan

i already have another one (see my post in Powertrain section) so the one i have is going to be thrown. i'll keep the intermediate shaft as an extra and i'm probably going to send the bellhousing to Vegeta cuz he wants it, but i'm not interested in fixing it at all. i'm also using my clutch fork from it on my 'new' trans. i have no idea what went bad in it (i'm NO tranny expert or even close) but all i know that it is REALLY messed up, fluid is black, leaks bad now, and stinks. there is absolutely nothing in 1st & 2nd, barely anything in 3rd, 4th, and i don't know about 5th cuz i'm not going to drive it up to that speed to find out and grenade it in the process. Reverse still works tho. funny thing is that it was STUCK HARD in reverse last week - i could not get it out of Reverse even by using both hands and pushing as hard as i could! and then the next week i hop in the car to run the engine and i can get it out of reverse no problem. wierd. oh well W-body V6 Getrag 282's seem to be pretty common around here at least. fwiw, the clutch pedal feels completely normal. if the 282 i just got goes out early, i'm going to do everything i can to 'bulletproof' it with a rebuild. maybe even use the H.O. Quad 4 Getrag 282 (better gearing) and slap a V6 bellhousing on it like Vegeta was talking about. that's probably the best thing to do, but i can't afford that right now. the W-body 282 is so steeply geared in 1st that it's REALLY easy to spin the tires mad when launching. i remember i could spin the tires all the way thru 1st, and bark 'em into 2nd pretty good....with a 200,000+ mile n/a V6 that's never been rebuilt! i only did that once tho.....and that was WAY before the tranny failed. i never ever did burnouts around corners, let it wheel hop, dump the clutch, or speed shift.

joshua

when you tear it apart to get the bell off i can allmost bet that some gears are chewwed yo or the syncros are bad but if it smells bad more than likely the gears are shot on the cluster or main shaft gears

thought i would ask so i could have a prject of my own in class.

i guess i could go to the j/y to see if a can get one

i was also interested in how much the repair would be but it is all good

let me know what ya find if you tear it down?

good luck with the project!

Guest TurboSedan
when you tear it apart to get the bell off i can allmost bet that some gears are chewwed yo or the syncros are bad but if it smells bad more than likely the gears are shot on the cluster or main shaft gears

thought i would ask so i could have a prject of my own in class.

i guess i could go to the j/y to see if a can get one

i was also interested in how much the repair would be but it is all good

let me know what ya find if you tear it down?

good luck with the project!

the salvage yard i bought my 282 from yesterday has another 282 with everything needed for a swap for $320. i don't really want to ship a tranny but i would. i'd also have to pull it all out myself and would want some $$ for my trouble. iTurbo bought an A555 5-speed for his turbo dodge so i have a really good wooden box i could use to ship it in. SuperBuick has dibs on that tho, but he's way out in MA so shipping might be too high for him. that 282 has approximately 140,000 miles and they told me it was a 'known good transmission'. otherwise there are a number of other W-bodies with V6 282's around here, but the transmissions are toast or gone. the small stuff like hydraulics, shifter, cables, etc. are still there on most of them tho....

joshua

• 1 month later...

I'm late on replying to this...sorry for that...but Joshua, as far as that transmission goes - I've still got more research to do on that regarding mating it to the 3800 (engine-management-wise), so if someone else wants it, by all means don't let me hinder them from it.

-Tom

Guest TurboSedan

Tom - i may have an extra Getrag 282 intermediate shaft i could sell you for next to nothing if i'm not using it (i'm in the middle of swapping another Getrag 282 right now). i could probably still get everything like the clutch pedal, master/slave cylinder & hydraulic line, cruise & clutch cutout switches, and the hydraulic fluid reservoir. i don't want to ship the tranny itself tho - sorry :(

that would be about it - i'd get a new tranny mount and some GM syncromesh but i have no idea on the flywheel or your calibration issues :?:

joshua