'00 Grand Prix fire causes an estimated $3 million in damages

mfewtrail

^ What he said. Also, I don't know for sure but I think the leaking oil tends to pool up on the 3800 exhaust manifold. The valve covers tend to leak just as bad on the 3100/3400's but they don't catch fire. Most of the oil runs down the head, then down to the block.

yea but the 3x00's don't have plastic/fiberglass valve covers.

also why doesn't it affect '04+ supercharged 3800 engines?

^ What he said. Also, I don't know for sure but I think the leaking oil tends to pool up on the 3800 exhaust manifold. The valve covers tend to leak just as bad on the 3100/3400's but they don't catch fire. Most of the oil runs down the head, then down to the block.

Cause they are too awesome for recalls

Unless you're saying that the plastic valve covers are causing the leak to be that much worse on the 3800's, I don't understand how that's relevant.

not sure if the 04 and newer have the plastic below the valve cover for the plug wires. that is the reason that the fire continues after the oil burns out. if you look at some of the cars you can see that oil has been leaking for a long time and it looks like coal sitting on the manifold in a mountain shape leading up to the valve cover. 2 yrs ago when I changed the gaskets on my brother in laws 97 gtp with 134,000 miles, he drove it back from texas to michigan. it was leaking so bad, and it had for quite some time. it never caught fire, and I would think that his would have, being in such disrepair.