1998 Lumina Trailing arms, lateral links - which parts fit?

LTZrocks

Hi,

I am new to this forum and I have a question concerning the rear lateral links (also known as lateral arms) and trailing arms.

I own a 1998 Chevy Lumina and my original rear lateral links and trailing arms are victims of pretty strong corrosion. The original rubber bushings are also very brittle. Hence, I would like to install new trailing arms and lateral links with bushings (I don't really mind whether poly or not, but I would of course prefer poly if available).

The problem I have is that the 1998 Lumina is a generation 1.5 W-body, the same as 1998 Monte Carlo just as a sedan. It shares a lot of parts with both the generation 1 and 2 w-bodies. However, as far as I know, and as far as I researched on this forum, there are some differences in the rear suspension between generation 1.5 and generation 1 and 2.

My Question is: which aftermarket lateral links and trailing arms fit my vehicle (as in which parts can I take from generation 1 and which from generation 2?

BMR Fabrication for example offers trailing arms and lateral links, but only for 97-03 Grand Prix, 97-Current Regal, 00-Current Monte Carlo/Impala. The links look pretty good and slightly adjustable in length. When questioned about fitment to a 1998 Lumina, BMR responded saying that they never tried it, but that they guess it should fit. The next question I asked them was about the length of the lateral arms - I never received an answer :sad:

Perhaps someone here on this forum knows which parts fit and can help me. I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for any helpful information you can give me.

best wishes

LTZrocks

GMPP trailing arms are your best bet for trailing arms if you are on a budget, they say they only fit 2nd gens, but they fit 1st and 1.5 as well.

GMPP trailing arms are your best bet for trailing arms if you are on a budget, they say they only fit 2nd gens, but they fit 1st and 1.5 as well.

Correct and very affordable too.

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response everybody.

So then I conclude that the generation 2 trailing arms also fit generation 1 and 1.5.

Okay. Thats great. :smile:

What about the lateral arms though? :question:

Hi,

Or get some adjustable ones off a cop Impala.

Sorry, my post wasn't that clear...

Hi,

So then I conclude that the generation 2 trailing arms also fit generation 1 and 1.5.

the gen 2 97-03 lateral arms interchange and are longer. you will end up with a meaner stance in the rear.. MAKE SURE YOU STRUTS ARE SLOTTED FOR REAR CAMBER ADJUSTMENT! Otherwise you will end up with excessive neg camber with those arms

Hi,

the gen 2 97-03 lateral arms interchange and are longer. you will end up with a meaner stance in the rear.. MAKE SURE YOU STRUTS ARE SLOTTED FOR REAR CAMBER ADJUSTMENT! Otherwise you will end up with excessive neg camber with those arms

how long are the 2nd gen ones? Stock 1st gens are 22 and 24

Hi,

how long are the 2nd gen ones? Stock 1st gens are 22 and 24

I will have to look for my paper where I wrote the length down, but they are longer. Ive had Gen 2 lateral arms on for a while now. I compared them side by side, they are about an inch longer..

uh... are the trailing arms the same between a cop ans non-cop impala?

As for the trailing arms go, the only difference is the SS Impalas got a square trailing arms with the bar being offset for tire clearence.

uh... are the trailing arms the same between a cop ans non-cop impala?

As for the trailing arms go, the only difference is the SS Impalas got a square trailing arms with the bar being offset for tire clearence.

really? I know where a 9c1 impala is, as well as several regular ones (00-01 only though) so i should go and check out their trailing arms.