Opinion on Mastercraft Tires

joeld

Any experience with these tires? They're made by Cooper. Just looking for a good ever-day driving tire. I was looking at the Strategy series.

Thanks

Joel

crap.

Not just crap, Mastercrap :lol:

no seriously, they are garbage.. All of them are garbage..

Spend some cash and it will be well worth it.. Get a set of Cooper CS4 Tourings.

If you dont wanna spend that kinda money, you might as well pick up a nice set of used tires. You can normally get a better set of used tires for half the money of Mastercraps and they will last longer.. Look for Michelins if you can..

Had Mastercrafts on the Monte when I got it for the first 2 years. Had half tread life on 'em. Were so-so in the winter. Rode fine rest of year. I never race or drive hard. So as far as other handling characteristics go, I didn't notice any difference. :dunno:

Pretty much crap is what I hear. The only people I know that run them use them on old pickups (farm trucks etc). They don't pretend to think they are great tires. They simply like the price. I have personally run the Yokohama YK420's on my car for the last 3 sets. They have not lasted the 45k treadwear warranty because I tend to drive it pretty hard. It really doesn't matter because they get warrantied. They wear even, handle well, and haven't given me a single problem. I would recommend them.

Pretty much crap is what I hear. The only people I know that run them use them on old pickups (farm trucks etc). They don't pretend to think they are great tires. They simply like the price. I have personally run the Yokohama YK420's on my car for the last 3 sets. They have not lasted the 45k treadwear warranty because I tend to drive it pretty hard. It really doesn't matter because they get warrantied. They wear even, handle well, and haven't given me a single problem. I would recommend them.

Where in the hell did you find YK420's? I had them on my '91 CS and they were awesome. I'd put them on my GP but I can't find them anywhere. Great freakin tires.

I was going to recommend Yokohama tires too.

Where in the hell did you find YK420's? I had them on my '91 CS and they were awesome. I'd put them on my GP but I can't find them anywhere. Great freakin tires.

I was going to recommend Yokohama tires too.

They don't make them anymore. I am getting new tires today. I was going to go with the YK520, but am not in the end. Yokohama did not want to answer my questions directly and it was like they were trying to dodge my questions when comparing the YK420 to the YK520. With the rebates and everything going on there is a newer Michelin design that gets high marks and great reviews. It will actually be $25 cheaper for the set than the Yokohama's as well so I am giving them a shot. Discount tire gives 30 days to return tires if you don't like them so I don't have much to loose. I will post up what I think after a few weeks of driving on them.

And for the record. I have Michelin and have not run them in 13 years. They better have a better product now or I am returning them.

• 2 weeks later...

If I had read this two years ago i would not have bought Mastercraft. But, I did and they've worn well and I've had no issues.

David, how would you describe your driving style?

I'm the kind of driver where I can tell you a tire's traction both off the line and under extreme braking, its cornering stiffness, and comfort in 5 minutes of my day-day driving. As such, I choose my tires very carefully and after plenty of research.

Well, you guys were right about these being crap! I should have listened, but just wanted a tire made in the USA. I exchanged them today for a set of Toyo tires. Feels much better.

Joel