Transmission Pressure Control Solenoid?

MonteCarloMan

in my Monte (2004 LS 3.4V6 with 4 speed auto) which has 145k on the odo (all free/highway miles). I just changed the oil last month and was about to have the trans done (a lot of work to do it in my driveway by myself :redface: ). I noticed in the last few weeks that when i drive my car enough in a day (or how long it takes the fluid to warm up) the trans shifts a little harder when accelerating through the gears from stop or speeding up. I did a search on google and it said the symptoms were related to a faulty Transmission Pressure Control Solenoid. Has any of you guys ever had one replaced and if so:

A: is it a lot of money?

B: is it something that can be replaced without taking the trans apart?

C: and is it something that can be done when the pan is off to have the fluid and filter/gasket replaced?

I have the fresh ATF and filter and gasket ready to be swapped out and just would like to know the answers to those questions. Other than the high millage the car is tip top condition and me and my dad (previous owner) put nothing but full synthetic oil and ATF in it, and i just had the plugs/wires replaced before i got the car last summer and had fresh disc rotors and pads put on shortly after. I would hate to have to have the transmission replaced or rebuilt cause, i just don't have that kind of money :cry:.

Thanks in advance guys :high5:.

I think your transmission is advanced enough to throw a code if that part was bad. While I have no experience with newer transmissions, I think you should just change the fluid/filter. Depending on when it was replaced last, that would make a world of difference. T

well it was done last summer but i did not put many miles on the car since then. i only drove maybe 5-8 thousand miles total. I called my dealer and they only wanted 70 bucks for the Tran Pressure Control Solenoid so i am gonna pick it up and give it to my mechanic when he does the trans fluid and filter/gasket change.

If it is simply shifting a little harder, I would just keep an eye on it for now. If the PCS had failed, it would be shifting a lot harder, basically slamming into gear.

Also, the PCS itself may be cheap, but the labor is not. It involves pulling off the side pan, and that involves lowering the subframe and the trans just to access the pan. It is not something that can be easily accomplished with the bottom pan removed.