'92 Buick Regal, new to forum, lots of questions, help appreciated

nabilone

Hi all,

I'm new here. :smile: I'm not exactly the most 'gettin hands dirty' kind of person, but i'm definitely may consider myself a car-lover and car-geek. And i have a special bond w/ my w-body, as i'm sure many of you do. I have a 1992 Buick Regal Custom 3.8 V6 Sedan with 100K on it. Its not in the best of shape cosmetically (my fault, fender bender, scratches etc), but mechanically its still pretty spot on. Although i would be lying if i say i didnt 'have' to spend some green on it. I have several questions about the car, and problems that i would like to address, i hope that some of you will b able to answer some if not all of these questions. :neutral:

First i'd like to inform about the work that 'had' to be done (i say 'had' because these were necessary, for the car, unlike the various other small tidbits that i 'chose' to change or replace.)

1. Transmission: Somewhere around 87k miles, the tranny crapped out with stuck gears and other wonderful problems. The only solution was to replace, and a salvaged tranny was acquired with 103k miles on it. (about $1000 total for labor and tranny).

2. Rear Shocks: The rear shocks were pretty busted, replaced with stock parts.

3. Tire Rod: There was a broken passenger side tire rod due to the aforementioned accident, and was replaced with a salvaged part.

And that about concludes the 'had' to replace section.

A lot other green was spent in buying things like:

Custom CAI mod (relocation of battery to trunk, shielded AEM filter and AEM bypass valve custom fitted)

Nokian Tires

EBC Yellowstuff Brake Pads

BrakePerformance Dimple Drilled & Slotted Rotors

Goodridge Steel Brake Lines

Bosch Spark Plugs

Taylor Spark Plug Wire

K&N Oil Filter w/ every oil change (every 2.5k)

Pennzoil Synthetic Oil (every 2.5k)

Starter (Stock Replacement)

Diehard Platinum Battery

...few other things etc...

Finally i arrive at my intentions. My desire for this car is to build a reliable daily driver/sleeper. Here are my QUESTIONS. :smile:

1. Transmission: Although the salvaged tranny had 103k miles on it, it still proved to be in quite good shape compared to mine. Its been fine so far, but seems the shifting is once again getting a little rough as my car is now @ 100k. At this point should i be thinking about rebuilding this transmission, and if so how much do you think i would have to spend? One low quote i got a year ago was $1500 (ouch). I've also always been interested in shift kits, is there something available for this car?

2. Leaky Radiator: I now have a leaky radiator which seems to be leaving little pools of coolant fluid from time to time, and requires more frequent than avg. refilling. Although i could just go with a stock replacement i want something a tad better? Are there any aftermarket radiators and electric fans for my car, from a company like BeCool or something? And if so, what kind of prices am i looking @?

3. Old Alternator? When the intake mod was done, the only shop willing to do any custom work on the difficult car was this small custom shop in a town nearby, and after a lot of money and headaches later, i received a half ass job. As the battery had to be located to the trunk to make room for the new intake pipe and filter, they did the old running the wires down the bottom of the car thing. But there was definite problems with the type of wiring, or integrity of work tht had been performed, because soon after, i had difficulty starting my car. I went back to my regular mechanic, who notified this as a grounding problem and fixed it (costing me more green). Since that problem was solved, everything was fine until very recently. Every now and then when i turn the key, you just hear one click (possibly of the key turning the ingintion mechanism, and not the sounds of a struggling starter or clicking alternator). Hence i'm not sure where exactly the problem is really. Should i be expecting a failing alternator @ this 100k mileage, or is it something else? Since i have a new battery, new starter, and @ my last checking, the ground problem was fixed, what other problem could be causing this?

4. Suspension: My goal is to get a full suspension overhaul, w/ a coilover kit all around if possible, stiffer springs, sway bar, front & rear strut bars. However i'm sure i cant have it all...I've also read the article here (http://www.w-body.com/upgrades/suspension-springs.html). Has anyone gotten any reliable suspension mods for the Gen 1 w-body? Things get complex because of the leafspring rear suspension. Does anyone know anything about heldmotorsports.com? I spoke w/ the owner once and confirmed the existence and prices of the products described here (http://www.westshorefabricators.com/WBody/select_wbody.htm) Any other suggestions?

4. Exhaust: To the best of my knowledge, no manufacturer makes any complete exhaust kits for the car. I am interested in a full exhaust upgrade. I'm not sure if this is even possible @ a custom exhaust place or not (due to specs), but is the exhaust able to split into a dual exhaust setup with dedicated downpipes and mufflers? (3 headers each, v6) And if not, how much of the exhaust is upgradeable. I particularly am interested in 'Borla Exhausts' (borla.com), and they sell a 'Universal Hot Rod Kit set', apparently consisting of all the stainless steel parts to construct a full exhaust. Please enlighten if possible.

5. Brakes: Whats the biggest size brakes i can fit within a 15" rim, guessing not that big, but are there any bigger size brakes from other models that fit the 15" diameter? This way i could search for aftermarket products knowing that size.

5. Power Windows: The 2 front windows seems to be either getting old or losing power in the motor mechanism or something. Is this an observed problem in these cars? Is it sufficient to try and find salvaged units or should i get new?

6. Audio System: If anyone has upgraded their stock radio and tape player that comes with these cars, they would know how much of a pain it really is. The wires are located in a very hard to reach area under the glove box dashboard. I bought a sort of kit thing @ BestBuy, basically a plastic casing to hold average car cd players. It was a job getting the wires to reach all the way from under the glove box, but i have it working. However, these cars use a non-standard GM branded wire for the radio connector. Where do i acquire this and how do i get long enough wire so it actually reaches the cdplayer?

I have had these lingering questions for too long. I'm not sure how many people here have done work on Gen1 w-body models, but i'm sure some question can be answered. Thanks in advance, and any help is appreciated, on any singular or multiple questions. :biggrin:

hey, welcome. first, i think you would be better off posting each question in the appropriate category, i think you will get more detailed help that way. second a good mechanic will stand behind his labor 100% excluding part failure, if he does not go somewhere else. third, your ignition problem sounds like a loose or dirty connection, probally at the batt. because it is no longer a factory set-up then a good visual inspection from hood to trunk is in order to inspect the batt cables and don't forget your starter connections and grounds. 9 out of 10 electrical issues are because of bad connections. i would suuggest using the stock rad and fan set-up, but i would add an external transmission cooler if you don't already have one, that combo should be all you need.1LoudCutty seems to know alot about suspension mods maybe you can message him for some help there.power windows, hmmmm well could be dirty, old, part of an electrical voltage issue but probally just real dirty or sticky.Man with so much you are going to have to get your hands dirty eventually!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more questions than I want to answer!

the stock cooling system is usually good, if you have the proper thick factory radiator. The radiator your car has is sufficient... so get a good replacement for it. and your car has two fans already, and they work well... any aftermarket fan is a waste.

HERE IS A GOOD QUESTION. does your car have an auxiliary transmission cooler? if you car has it it in front of the radiator and condenser on the drivers side, it is about 6 inches by 12 inches tall.

are you aware that transmission fluid should be changed? really. if you think your tranny is not quite right, do a pan drop and put a new filter and fluid in. DO NOT GET IT FORCE FLUSHED by a shop.

5. Power Windows: The 2 front windows seems to be either getting old or losing power in the motor mechanism or something. Is this an observed problem in these cars? Is it sufficient to try and find salvaged units or should i get new?

Mine are doing the same thing, I have a '93 2 door Gran Sport. They work, but they're weak.

I'd like to hear an answer to this too.

most likely the power window motors are fine, you might need to lubricate the window tracks.

I have always had good luck with power window motors, and have seen only 5 that have been bad so far. j/y all the way.

Welcome to the site! You have any pics of the car? :mrgreen:

And about your exhaust question- I don't believe there are any 1st gen specific headers for the 3800, and if there were there's no point in making a true dual exhaust over a well engineered single exhaust. Plus, it'd sound goofy. Not sure if you have a dual or single exit exhaust, but an exhaust off of any 1st gen will pretty much bolt on.

And about the alternator- It's probably not that. It's probably the starter solenoid clicking because it has a lack of voltage. Check all your connections and clean them up, and are the battery's CCA's up to the job? Also, what gauge is the cable running from the battery forward? Hopefully it's not too small and doesn't have too much resistance.

thanks everyone for the quick replies. awesome.

ok so i now understand that i def need to have the battery wires reinspected, and possibly replaced. I remember the custom shop was having a hard time finding the right gauge of wire, does anybody know what gauge specifically i need?

HERE IS A GOOD QUESTION. does your car have an auxiliary transmission cooler? if you car has it it in front of the radiator and condenser on the drivers side, it is about 6 inches by 12 inches tall.

are you aware that transmission fluid should be changed? really. if you think your tranny is not quite right, do a pan drop and put a new filter and fluid in. DO NOT GET IT FORCE FLUSHED by a shop.

thnks for the info Crazy K. I went and looked where u told me to look, and i'm pretty sure i wasnt able to spot a mini radiator, all i felt in the cramped place is the a/c condenser, which is behind the radiator. I spoke w/ BeCool inc. and they informed me tht they dont make any stock replacements for the car, and also mentioned that to the best of his knowledge the transmission gets its cooling from the actual radiator also. I did see multiple steel pipes coming in and out of the radiator. Does this mean i cant get a transmission cooler? It seemed like there was no space for this part to fit. I was looking online, and seemed like there were fluid coolers, and transmission coolers. The former to cool other fluids altogether like tranny, engine, powersteering, brakes. Am i right?

most likely the power window motors are fine, you might need to lubricate the window tracks.

I have always had good luck with power window motors, and have seen only 5 that have been bad so far. j/y all the way.

how would i go about doing this?

Welcome to the site! You have any pics of the car? :mrgreen:

And about your exhaust question- I don't believe there are any 1st gen specific headers for the 3800, and if there were there's no point in making a true dual exhaust over a well engineered single exhaust. Plus, it'd sound goofy. Not sure if you have a dual or single exit exhaust, but an exhaust off of any 1st gen will pretty much bolt on.

And about the alternator- It's probably not that. It's probably the starter solenoid clicking because it has a lack of voltage. Check all your connections and clean them up, and are the battery's CCA's up to the job? Also, what gauge is the cable running from the battery forward? Hopefully it's not too small and doesn't have too much resistance.

88Regal Limited, whats the battery's CCA?

I believe i have a regular 2.5inch exhaust, single exit. So what exactly are my upgrade options here? i definitely dont want a stock replacement here. Can i get a downpipe and a muffler at least? obviously one thats meant for another vehicle, as i cant seem to find any aftermarket exhaust options for the car.

Thnks again everyone for the help.

So anyone know anything about bigger brakes from another car tht fits with clearance in a 15 rim?

thnks for the info Crazy K. I went and looked where u told me to look, and i'm pretty sure i wasnt able to spot a mini radiator, all i felt in the cramped place is the a/c condenser, which is behind the radiator. I spoke w/ BeCool inc. and they informed me tht they dont make any stock replacements for the car, and also mentioned that to the best of his knowledge the transmission gets its cooling from the actual radiator also. I did see multiple steel pipes coming in and out of the radiator. Does this mean i cant get a transmission cooler? It seemed like there was no space for this part to fit. I was looking online, and seemed like there were fluid coolers, and transmission coolers. The former to cool other fluids altogether like tranny, engine, powersteering, brakes. Am i right?

I would locate a OEM auxilary cooler from a 91-93 Z34 (or any 3.4 91-93 car) from the junkyard and install it on your car. It will be a direct bolt on. probably cost you $10-15 from reasonable yards.

Otherwise, an aftermarket cooler can be added, but would be more costly and more work.

as for the windows... I've supplied battery voltage from a loose car battery directly to the motor on suspect motors, and this often tells quickly if they are good or bad. as for lubing.... grease, wd40, etc etc on the front and rear window tracks and see if there is a difference.