New addition to the Family

chasin_shadowz

I saw an ad on CL here in milwaukee for a TGP for $500. It's rough, but the windshield and master were both good. I ended up buying it 400, definitely worth it. I think it may be the one that was listed one on CL last fall that the guy claimed it had a 3.4 with a 3.1 turbo intake. Someone swapped a 5speed into it. There are some definite hacks on it, I'll look into it better when the whether gets warmer. Pics are to follow soon.

It goes pretty good, but it smokes bad after it warms up. I'm thinking the turbo. I'm thinking that I might drop the subframe, part out what I can off the car, rebuild the engine and maybe the trans and when its done, swap it under my driver. I've heard that the 5speeds don't hold up well. My auto in my driver is slipping right now and it felt like the synchros were going on the manual. I think that the auto will hold out until mid summer or so. What do you guys think?

Also, does anybody know any reputable places in the Milwaukee area that could rebuild the trans, either the auto or manual?

Thanks,

Mike

Sounds like it could be Kenny's. It's smashed up in the front. There's no intake hose, just totally exposed inlet right to the turbo. Sorry if I offend Kenny, I know he is a bit of a TGP guru around here. If it is his, maybe the 5speed might be set up right. I be able to get a better look at it once it warms up and I'm not shivering so bad that I can't see straight.

Pretty sure that is Kenny's old car. He 5spd swapped that car like 7-8 years ago and hasn't owned it since 2006. After he sold it, I know it went through SEVERAL different owners that beat the piss out of it(as every time I saw it again, it looked 10x worse).

i saw that one on cL it caught my eye looked pretty ruff first thing that caught my eye was that the turbo had no filter kinda scared me away good seal for 400 tho

Here's the daily driver 89 TGP that got me into the TGP's. I had a blow out on the front right, so I didn't take a pic of the passenger's front. Gotta get a new set of tires. Any suggestions for an all season tire?

Driver's side seat it still pretty nice, even with over 140,000. Interior's a little messy...time to do a little spring cleaning and lighten it up for all of the clutter I have.

102_0967.jpg

102_0969-1.jpg

102_0970-1.jpg

102_0971-1.jpg

Poor car.. I miss it so much.

I bought the car from Kenny sometime in 2002ish I think. Owned it for a few years until my exwife made me sell it. I regret doing that more than anything right now. The 5 speed swap is right, don't worry about that. Kenny did a hell of a job when he did the swap. After I sold it back to him, he re-tuned the chip and brought a LOT more life out of it. I got a chance to drive it after he redid the chip and it was MUCH faster than when I owned it.

My guess on the smoking is the turbo too.. it did that occasionally when I owned it as well.

Funny to see that the power inverter is still in the rear console, the "pontiac" sticker is still on the back bumper, and that the Pioneer CD player is still in there. Figured that stuff would have been long gone now.

I'll attach some pictures of what it looked like when I owned it. It's definitely had a rough life since then.

Welcome to the boards, and I hope you give that car the TLC it needs!