JVC KD-A805

pwmin

Time again for another one of my head unit threads :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

I got a Kenwood X-791 for my Cherokee and I'm selling the vehicle. It is going with it (a) because I don't feel like messing with it and (B) I'm ready for a change. It's an okay receiver, but I can't get it loud enough when using my Archos 605 WiFi and there are no input source dependent volume adjustments.

Anywho, I'm a Panasonic guy and they finally put out a unit with USB and 3.5mm ports, but the only ones that have it right now are very cheesy and ugly. So, I've been thinking about going w/ another JVC. My last one that went w/ my 91 GTP I liked a lot.

Anyone try the 805? It's a little over what I wanted to spend (cheapest i can find is 215 at sonicelectronix and my budget was under 200) but the 605 is cheesy-looking, too, albeit not near as much as the Panasonic RX-400U. Anyone have any other suggestions?

My main concerns are the USB and AUX inputs. I would like them to be in the rear, but it's not a big deal. I also wanted HD-ready, but I'm not finding anything that fits w/ the more important things. I'm only going to be running 4 speakers off of the deck and one amp w/ a whimpy sub, so the outputs aren't too concerning.

Thanks again.

BTW, this is going in a 1987 Chevy pick-up, so space isn't much of an issue. I will just have to cut out the old spot as it has the old dual-dial type (whatever they're called, I can't remember).

Panasonic headunits are ugly. I love the brand but any HU they've put out just isn't something I'd want in my dash.

I've always liked JVC for the "bang-for-buck" factor myself, but Pioneer will be my #1. Why not look at one of their upper-end units? They all have rear USB and AUX ports, and the higher-end ones have builtin sub controls with crossovers and high and lowpass filters.

Panasonic headunits are ugly. I love the brand but any HU they've put out just isn't something I'd want in my dash.

I've always liked JVC for the "bang-for-buck" factor myself, but Pioneer will be my #1. Why not look at one of their upper-end units? They all have rear USB and AUX ports, and the higher-end ones have builtin sub controls with crossovers and high and lowpass filters.

I'm the opposite, lol. I love the look of Panasonics and hate the look of Pioneers.

like this DVD :D :

66611110064610-large-Panasonic-CQ-DVR909U-DVD-Audio-DVD-Video-Player.jpg

I just looked at the new Pioneers and, yeah, they're still ugly, lol.

I would get one of these if they ebay/sonicelectronix price was good, but they're not out yet...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_099CD5030/Eclipse-CD5030.html?tp=5684

do you know anybody who wants my pioneer?

I am going to put in my JVC from one of my other cars in its place tomorrow and I won't have any use for the piece of crap. Its a high end one with rear Ipod interface and blinding ugly blue detachable face.

it works and everything, just like the day I bought it brand new from the store. just not as good as a jvc or panny. someone here offered to buy it last time I was bitching about it. can't remember who, but its now up for sale if someone wants it, otherwise it's going in the junk electronics pile in my garage to be traded off for something else down the line. I would sell it for $90 shipped. I paid $200 for it like 2 years ago from a local store. but it retailed for close to 300 I think.

that deck looks good by the way. wonder how it looks at night

anyone know the model numbers for that era of panasonic? I know none of them even had MP3. At the time I was buying stuff for my Blazer and they had those (I drooled over them for hours, lol), I asked them about MP3 and no one even knew what I was talking about. I guess I could just ask RedZ. He still has a CD player from that era in his Monte.

The DVD I posted was CQ-DVR909U, but I can't find any CD units. I actually found some of those for sale still, LOL, but they're over $600.

do you know anybody who wants my pioneer?

I am going to put in my JVC from one of my other cars in its place tomorrow and I won't have any use for the piece of crap. Its a high end one with rear Ipod interface and blinding ugly blue detachable face.

it works and everything, just like the day I bought it brand new from the store. just not as good as a jvc or panny. someone here offered to buy it last time I was bitching about it. can't remember who, but its now up for sale if someone wants it, otherwise it's going in the junk electronics pile in my garage to be traded off for something else down the line. I would sell it for $90 shipped. I paid $200 for it like 2 years ago from a local store. but it retailed for close to 300 I think.

that deck looks good by the way. wonder how it looks at night

What model. I might be interested. PM me if you can, I need a good CD/MP3 HU.

Any other opinions? I may just order it as I got my state tax return today. I am going to look at Clarions quick, though. Clarion was the first I bought and I always liked it.

I was thinking about the Kenwood X693...know anything about them? I guess it's 2 models newer than my X791 but a step down. I may just go to CarToys as they're supposed to have it and look at Alpines, too. Too bad they only like one JVC...hopefully if I go to the store they'll have the A805. The only think I don't really like about it is that the USB and AUX or on the front, but I don't like the looks of the Kenwood as much.

http://www.cartoys.com/Default.cfm/p/Kenwood_eXcelon_KDC_X693_CD_MP3_WMA_Receiver/

I hate Kenwoods, because they tend to cripple their lower-end (even $200 level) decks in ways that just boggle the mind. The smallest sort of features will not be enabled in a deck that's $50 cheaper than the next-highest model. And it's not higher-end features, I'm talking stuff like EQ centers, stuff that's important to soundstaging. Stuff that even low-end Pioneers have.

Sorry to harp on Pioneer again, I just hate people like Kenwood and Alpine where you end up having to pay $100 more just to have a fucking MIDRANGE adjustment. Seriously. What bullshit, any low-end deck worth it's salt should have a midrange adjustment.

I hate Kenwoods, because they tend to cripple their lower-end (even $200 level) decks in ways that just boggle the mind. The smallest sort of features will not be enabled in a deck that's $50 cheaper than the next-highest model. And it's not higher-end features, I'm talking stuff like EQ centers, stuff that's important to soundstaging. Stuff that even low-end Pioneers have.

Sorry to harp on Pioneer again, I just hate people like Kenwood and Alpine where you end up having to pay $100 more just to have a fucking MIDRANGE adjustment. Seriously. What bullshit, any low-end deck worth it's salt should have a midrange adjustment.

Ya, I'm not too happy w/ the Kenwood that's in the Jeep, but I got it for a good price and it has decent features, it's just a little hard to use and the display sucks ass. I'll go to CarToys tomorrow and look, but I'll probably end up ordering the JVC unless I decide to forget the USB and go w/ Panasonic. I'm not even sure if my Archos will work like an iPod w/ the USB. All they ever say is iPods...ugh.

on a side-note, I may ditch Verizon when my contract is over and get an iPhone w/ AT&T :redface:

I just read somwhere that said that the A805 has rear USB, too

on a side-note' date=' I may ditch Verizon when my contract is over and get an iPhone w/ AT&T :redface:

[/quote']

DO IT!! Seriously, and aside from all the hype it really is a great phone, only to be better when firmware 3.0 (free upgrade for 3G) comes out in June.

Kenwood's menu system SUCKS BIG DONKEY BALLS!!!

I had AT&T a long time ago and the reception and customer service sucked, but I hear that it's a lot better now. I'm getting sick of the crappy Verizon phones and I think that you can get an iPhone for $200 from AT&T now. I hate Apple/Mac, so IDK why I'm thinking about it, lol.

the faceplate detachment on the Kenwood is the crappiest design ever, too. IDK how many times I though I was going to break it.

Well, I can get the older Panasonic C8305U for $180 shipped, but then I'll have to buy all the installation hardware, but if i get the JVC through Sonic, I get that stuff for free. The disadvantages to that over the JVC is it only has 2.5V outputs (the newer model, C800U has 5V and the ones I've always bought have been 5V ::)) and no USB. I guess I'll just look for the hell of it tomorrow at CarToys, but will probably end up getting the JVC. For some reason, I think it looks a little better than the Panasonic, which I never thought I would say.

I didn't see any Clarions that I liked.

I think I am eventually going to get an iphone just for all the apps just for use in my car. then I will get it hacked so I can us it on t-mobile. even though you can only use it on a 2-g network here.

If it works like my video ipod and connects through the bus output the same way-with my monster interface, that is a real nice audio/video connection to my jvc dvd player with 2.5"screen. I would make a clean install for the iphone to stand in the glove box. Have a false back and a cig lighter socket back in there for a charger and everything.