how to change oil pump drive o ring seal

stlunatics2oo3

One thing I have been noticing is that nobody has mentioned that after you put the O-Ring on, which by the way, I picked up from my local parts house for $.39, a small block chevy distributor gasket will fit quite nicely as a backup. For those who don't know, it is a small paper gasket that fits under the head of the oil pump driveshaft. You can usually pick those up for about $.25. Just a thought for those who don't want to change the O-ring again.

The brown O-rings from the dealer will last much longer. They are silicone and should last at least a decade. The O-rings I've seen at the dealer (and are included with FelPro gasket kits) are black natural rubber. They'll only last a few years. I definitely recommend the brown silicone O-rings from the dealer for peace of mind.

Felpro actually happens to have the type of gasket you mention (the one that sits under the distributor head) in black rubber. I got one in my FelPro head gasket kit, and another in the intake manifold gasket kit.

Doers anyone have a picture of where this O-ring goes becasue im still confused? And is this Felpro rubber gasket a suplement to the o-ring or is it required too?

I have no pic of the O-ring, but it's pretty obvious once you pull the oil pump drive unit out of the block. It'll be a black band on the part of the pump drive that goes into the block.

The Felpro rubber gasket is a supplement that Felpro throws into their gasket sets, and isn't required nor used by GM.

• 2 weeks later...