how to change oil pump drive o ring seal

stlunatics2oo3

Guest TurboSedan

i removed the air box, throttle body heater lines, both fuel lines (make SURE you relieve fuel pressure FIRST!!), and i think i left the TB in place (it's really easy to R&R anyway). remove the hold down bolt on top of the pump drive, and pull straight out. it might be stuck so you may need to grip the top with a big channel locks or something. i think it was like 5" long or so. clean it with brakleen and lube it with clean motor oil. lube the seal with new clean motor oil also. wrap the teeth with paper (so you don't nick or tear the new seal on the teeth) and slide the new o-ring over it into place on the groove. reinstall the pump drive, and make sure you seat the pump drive before tightening the hold down bolt, then put everything back together. good luck

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

oh yeah, i would thouroughly clean the area of the pump drive before you pull it out, otherwise you'd have all kinds of crap & gunk falling down into the engine.

joshua

Guest Anonymous

You don't need to take them off. Unbolt the throttle body and take the coolant hoses off. Then you should be able to get the throttle body far enough out of your way. I sent you the pics. I had my upper intake off at the time which made it easier to get to but it's possible by just moving the throttle body.

In my opinion it is not worth it to have someone do it. It's a $2-$3 o-ring and you'd end up paying out the ass for labor.

well i did it one problem was that teh parts store closed as i pulled up to it in my moms car so tomorrow it will be done and teh shaft came out with it but is stuck in so do i leave it in there or what i am confused on how to put it in there

Guest Anonymous

Leave the shaft in. If you pull it out it will not stay when you put it back in.

You have to get the o-ring at a dealer also. You can't get it at any parts store.

Hol up, are you talking about that thing that goes in place of where the distributor goes? Its got a gear on it that turns from the cam and turns the oil pump. Is that this thing?

it is right under teh throttle body it is really easy took me like 2 hours with breaks and stuff but make sure teh vacuum lines are far away i did a careless mistake and now i have a whistling air leak so tomorrow i get to take teh plenum off to change air wires so be careful

Guest TurboSedan
Leave the shaft in. If you pull it out it will not stay when you put it back in.

You have to get the o-ring at a dealer also. You can't get it at any parts store.

i got sorta confused with the some posts here....but.... you have to pull the shaft all the way out to replace the o-ring. i don't see how it could possibly fit over the top part of the shaft. when you push the shaft back down into the hole is will turn as it meets the camshaft. anyway...my o-ring came to a whopping $1.26 WITH tax from the dealer. it is light brown.

joshua

Guest Anonymous

I said to leave the shaft in, not the gear itself. When I pulled mine out the shaft came out with it and then slid out of the gear and fell back into the hole. Not fun getting it back in place.

Guest TurboSedan

when you said shaft i though you meant the oil pump drive itself (the part with the gear on it)? i just pulled the oil pump drive shaft out and replaced the o-ring, then stuck it back in there. jon - the seal is under the head of the shaft, but you have to pull the whole shaft out to get the new o-ring on there. it is about 5" long i think.

joshua

Guys you make this job sound so difficult. On my 3.4 all I have to do is remove the intake plenum and both DOHC heads from the motor to get it and then retime the whole engine. Easy schmeezy.

:shock:

-tom