WTF!!! ICM Exploded Diagram anyone?

88Regal Limited

How the hell do you (easily) get the ICm off a 2.8/3.1 as an assembly? I had the 2 outside bolts and the 3 connectors, and I know there's a 3rd bolt but I couldn't find it. :cry:

Helps?

-Sean

The third bolt is at the very bottom of the ICM bracket. It is a bitch to get to! Just take your time and you'll get it with a few extensions and a universal/swivel attachment.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. ICM/Coils on a 3.1 are the easiest thing EVaRRRR!

88-90 had the coolant bottle in the way, and to get to the lower bolt on the middle coil pack you need to remove the batt cable from the starter. What a pain. Plus, I can't get it lifted up high enough to get it from the bottom either.

:evil:

I was able to get that lower-middle bolt with a long tiny extension on the 5.5mm attachment. I went from under the car, and it was cake walk. One I removed all the coil pack bolts, the icm came off too.

I was able to get that lower-middle bolt with a long tiny extension on the 5.5mm attachment. I went from under the car, and it was cake walk. One I removed all the coil pack bolts, the icm came off too.

Other than pulling from the top, this is how I've done it as well.

STOP!!!!

you can remove the 6 coil bolts and the ICM will come off with the coils. the bolt size is 5.5 mm (or 7/32 iirc)

My far top right bolt on the coil is stripped, so no luck there. :cry:

Got a good look at the bracket, i see where the bolt for it is.... right behind the starter solenoid. Satan car! :lol: I'll do the ICM when i get a 3400 mini starter, I guess it needed a day to dry out. We'll see.

-Sean

Thanks for the help guys!

5.5 mm nothing but BS :evil:

My 94 the whole entire unit is mounted to a plate by 3 bolts, Just remove the whole plate

??????

the 94 uses 4 bolts and you can see them. (unless you have a 94-95 LQ1) the ones he is taking about are out of site below the exhaust manifold on the earlier cars.

and even on the 94+ 3n00 i taike the 6 5.5mm bolts off and leave the plate in place.... cause the wires are so tangles it allows you to place them in place and then drop the icm and coils in from above.

You could try using a smaller socket since the head is stripped or a easy-out.

The older bolts tend to rust and are a softer metal. I would seriously try to remove the whole bracket. I think it's pretty easy to do on the pushrod engines.

EDIT: To be honest with you be happy. I had to change mine on the Grand Prix in like 20 degree weather. Use a mirror to. It can be your friend! I removed my fans and dogbone. Make it easy and remove stuff!