Affordable DIN 1.5 radio, under $100

glassvial

use the factory brackets....

How? They don't come off, they're part of the radio itself. Here's a pic I stole from ebay, those ears aren't going anywhere:

they have been removable on the stock units that I have pulled...

they have been removable on the stock units that I have pulled...

Ok, here's some pics of a stock radio of this type. How do the brackets come off? Sure looks like part of the radio to me. Maybe the radios you've taken apart aren't the same as this style?

Sorry, my camera sucks, I know at least 1 of these pics sucks pretty bad.

if it didnt have an aux plug in i would say for an mp3 adapter otherwise i dont know?

Well you can do that with a wealth of 1 DIN radios (the aux input).

Oh and speaking of 8-track, I did once see an 8-track to cassette adapter, so it can (theoretically) be done! LOL!

In theory, the 8 track should have sounded much better than the cassette, for the simple fact that the transport speed of the 8 track was almost twice that of the cassette.

Also, there are cassette to 8 track adapters, not the other way around ;)

Also, Akai was a somewhat highly regarded brand in the 70's - 80's, but i'm not sure if they kept up with their quality, or if they sort of went down the same road as sansui, going from practically audiophile grade components down to disposable boombox type junk.

Also, there are cassette to 8 track adapters, not the other way around ;)

Yeah that's what I meant :)

Also, Akai was a somewhat highly regarded brand in the 70's - 80's, but i'm not sure if they kept up with their quality, or if they sort of went down the same road as sansui, going from practically audiophile grade components down to disposable boombox type junk.

Funny you mention that...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akai

:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy this item, March 23, 2009

By Robert Bruce (Fremaont, CA.) - See all my reviews

(REAL NAME)

I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N0QLK4?&tag=shopwiki-us-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Okay I purchased this item from GoodDeals18 and it arrived on time. Had no documents included, called 3 times and after giving a bad review, I got a phone call. GoodDeals18 was nice enough to refund the cost of shipping because of no documents. But now the trouble begins, I decide that without docs I should get professional installation, so I went to BestBuy and had them install the unit. ($69.99). Everything was great the first day. After that the unit stopped working. It would power on and than just power off. It worked 10% of the time. At first I thought it was the installation, but it was not. The unit locks up during init. Just powers on and then displays OO OO or stranger characters then powers off. At first I had to disconnect the battery to reset the unit then it would work. But every time I turn the car off it never comes back on. After digging for some information on this item I found that it has a reset button. That worked about 20% of the time. But to use the unit I have to reset it every time I get in the car, and it may take me 10 or 15 tries before it works. I would not recommend this item, in my opinion I think this is why you're getting a list. price $399.00 for only $73.20. They are unloading junk and making a profit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy this item, March 23, 2009

By Robert Bruce (Fremaont, CA.) - See all my reviews

(REAL NAME)

I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N0QLK4?&tag=shopwiki-us-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Well, the listing does state there's no documentation, so I don't know why he complained about it in his review. Sounds like this guy (unfortunately) got a bum unit. I didn't notice any of the problems described in that review in my limited testing with the unit I got for my buddy.