Affordable DIN 1.5 radio, under $100

glassvial

I know how near-impossible it is to find a 1.5 DIN radio for the long suffering W-Body (and other GM vehicle) owners. My buddy wanted to upgrade the radio in his '99 S-10 (uses the same DIN 1.5 radios as the Lumina, etc.) but he wanted tape deck and CD. I said, you don't ask for much, do you? Well, I wasn't even looking for this, but I stumbled upon it by accident on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/DASH-1-5-CASSETTE-RADIO-RECEIVER/dp/B001N0QLK4/

Then I found the same seller on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IN-DASH-1-1-2-DIN-CAR-CD-MP3-CASSETTE-RADIO-RECEIVER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38641QQihZ015QQitemZ250373355336QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

And finally, the direct website:

http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/SHKARC18MPH/IN_DASH_15_DIN_CAR_CD_MP3_CASSETTE_RADIO_RECEIVER.html

(pick your poison)

It's an Akai, the model ACR-18MPH. This thing does cassette, CD, MP3, and has a front AUX input. I ordered directly from these guys, they shipped quickly, got all of my information correct, and were a pleasure to do business with overall. I also want to mention that I have no affiliation with this seller other than being a customer :)

As cool as all that is, especially considering the price, there are some caveats you should be aware of. First of all, this item comes in a plain white box, no retail packaging of any kind. I assume these are refurbs or something, I'm not sure (it came with protective plastic over the screen area, so that was good). Trying to find information on this deck is next to impossible, Akai's website doesn't list it, and the phone number on their site goes to Singapore. The closest I was able to get was there is also a model ACR-18H, which is CD only, I found some information on foreign sites about that one, and on sites that you have to pay for its manual. This deck does *NOT* have a detachable face, despite what the listings state, it's flip-down only, and like the listing says, there is no documentation/manual for it (it comes with one, but it says "Magnadyne" and it's some completely unrelated model (not a big deal, you should be able to mostly figure this unit out on your own). Only reason I suppose they included it is for the wiring diagrams. What you see in the pictures is pretty much what you get, there are NO mounting brackets (I guess they figure you're going to velcro this into your car) if anyone has any information about mounting this without fabricating something, please let me know. This comes with one piece of back strap and that's it. There is no metra/scosche kit that will work, I already inquired to both places. The local stereo install place seems to think that any DIN 1.5 kit will work (ie. Pioneer) but Pioneer's kit costs $30 + shipping, and that seems excessive to me when an entire stereo install costs almost that much, wiring and all, not to mention there's no guarantee to fit/work, either.

Now for some good things. The wiring (that you can see sitting on top of the radio in some of the pictures) IS standard color-coded, so get yourself an antenna adapter and a wiring harness adapter and you'll be all set. The FM presets have FM1/2/3, for a total of 18 FM presets. The deck WILL play burned CD's (unlike other 1.5 decks I've read about that won't). The FM tuning goes all the way down to ~60's-108, I've never seen a radio go that low in the FM band before, found a station around here broadcasting at 70.1, pretty cool. Overall the radio seems pretty easy to use, obviously has a lot more functionality than stock.

Weird things (weird to me anyway): I have not yet figured out how to set the clock. AM is not called AM, it's called MW (Medium Wave). I don't think there's a way to turn off the light-show at the bottom of the screen when music is playing.

Here's some pics for your viewing pleasure :)

I'd have to see a pic of it turned on... doesn't look AWFUL but I'd not buy anything that generic/off-brand without trying it out first.

The 4th picture on Amazon's site shows it turned on. Granted, it's not a great pic. Maybe I can take some more pics of it turned on once I figure out how the heck to mount it.

Does it get short-wave stations?

LOL - my buddy asked me the same question! I don't think so, but then again I don't know what freq. short wave uses.

Wiki, should have known to look there. No, I don't think this radio goes that low, sorry :)

Still looking for a way to mount this thing, it's looking like I'm going to have to pay the full shot at the local stereo place for them to fab something up and make it work. I can tell you now, no aftermarket kit works, this radio is too wide.

Why do you need a kit to install a 1.5 din radio? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Every 1.5 din I have ever installed mounted in the proper corresponding 1.5 din opening.

Why do you need a kit to install a 1.5 din radio? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Every 1.5 din I have ever installed mounted in the proper corresponding 1.5 din opening.

With some sort of brackets or something I assume, right? This radio came with no such mounting hardware, it came with a piece of back strap only.

And, lets not venture down 8-track land, please :cool: It wouldn't at all surprise me if my friend still has some and puts another idea in his head!

Opposite problem, no CD. You have no choice but aftermarket if you want cassette and CD, there is no factory GM DIN 1.5 deck that does it that I know of, not until later year GM's (when they finally wised up) that started using 2 DIN radios...for example, the later year Buick Regal has a factory 2 DIN cassette and CD, and it's a great deck to boot.

You could always get the cassette deck and add a CD changer like most GM cars did.

I posed that solution to my friend, he wasn't interested in going that route. Plus, the cost of the changer, the wiring harness you need, installation, etc. would cost more than just buying this deck.

With some sort of brackets or something I assume, right? This radio came with no such mounting hardware, it came with a piece of back strap only.

And, lets not venture down 8-track land, please :cool: It wouldn't at all surprise me if my friend still has some and puts another idea in his head!

use the factory brackets....

use the factory brackets....

How? They don't come off, they're part of the radio itself. Here's a pic I stole from ebay, those ears aren't going anywhere:

if it didnt have an aux plug in i would say for an mp3 adapter otherwise i dont know?

Well you can do that with a wealth of 1 DIN radios (the aux input).

Oh and speaking of 8-track, I did once see an 8-track to cassette adapter, so it can (theoretically) be done! LOL!