New TGP, mine all mine!!!

95GTP

I had it delivered today. The 90 TGP, it needs a ton of work.

1. First the wheels are scheit, all gouged,

2. Tires,

3. Exhaust is gone, rusted through,

4. The dist o-ring leaks, been there before with the GTP,

5. Interior needs a super cleaning, it smells, seats are not torn,

6. radio is aftermarket crap and the speakers are gone,

7. engine runs like schiet, it chuggs at 3500 rpm and wont go above that,

8. brakes are fuct,

9. louver above the turbo is all bubbled,

10. dents along the drivers side,

11. drivers door handle busted,

12. dont know about the turbo unit,

13. smokes

14. under carrage is rusted from sitting along time,

probably more stuff once I decide to get into it.

What am I lookin at about $500++ (more like a grand) to do the work myself just to get it on the street?

Honestly guys, is it worth it?? It has 155K miles too..

I guess I'll start with who has a box of extra parts they dont want? Maybe I have what you need if I decide to part it out.

I need ideas.....

check it out at this link.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=227542&page=4

==95GTP

2. Tires,

8. brakes are fuct,

13. smokes

Honestly guys, is it worth it?? It has 155K miles too..

Well, it all depends on you.

I've been laughed at to 'restore' a Beretta, but it's something I've always loved.

I figure you can do it. Kiss ass car, with an onwer that will care for it!

Over 80% on your list is easy to find or replace as a home mechanic / junkyard finder.

I wish you the best of luck! Keep us updated on your progress.

- Erik

P.S. Willing to bet #7 is affected by your faulty Neutral Switch; blasted rev limiter.

yea I'll bet its the neutral safety switch. Now the thing wont even crank over, nothing when you turn the key.

Hey how did they do that to get it to my house?

Can I jump the switch to get it started?

Wow what am I getting myself into here?

==95GTP

yea I'll bet its the neutral safety switch. Now the thing wont even crank over, nothing when you turn the key.

==95GTP

Try putting it in Neutral and startin it there

Robby

==95GTP

I really don't think a little ol 3.1 with a turbo can be any harder than that 5 cam monster you have now!

It will be ok!

Whether it's worth it, depends on how much you paid for it!

It sounds pretty beat, but I would fix it. Sounds like the turbo might be shot, I've seen rebuild kits for less than $100. I think I paid about $420 for a complete rebuilt turbo, but mine was seized and they didn't recommend a rebuild kit due to it being seized, otherwise I would have just tried rebuilding it myself.

Neutral start switch is also where I'd look for the starting problem. I guess the heat from the turbo shortens their life. Mine has a problem with the neutral start switch in where I need to run the shifter all the way through the gears a couple times before it will crank in Park.

I vote to fix it!!! Shouldn't take a whole lot from looking at it....for $500, I'd love to get a TGP in "ok" shape which yours seems to be in. "just to have." If you do decide to part it, I might be interested in some stuff :D

I have already tried to run the shifter through a few times and tried to start it in neutral too. What about jumping out the switch at the connector, you know bypass it. Will it work or screw up something else?

I want to fix it soon but time and $$$ makes it not possible. I hate having a project just sitting around.

Yea I know about the 3.4 monster and what a pain it is to work on, so far mine is running perfect (just jinxed myself). A little 3.1 will be alot easier and I know I can find parts in the junkyards all over here. I want to get my daughter into fixing it with me. I dont want no girly girls. If she wants the car then she should work on it too.

==95GTP

I want to get my daughter into fixing it with me. I dont want no girly girls. If she wants the car then she should work on it too.

Don't get her too into it or she may end up wearing flannel and sporting a buzz cut.

Guest TurboSedan

2. Tires,

8. brakes are fuct,

13. smokes

I guess I'll start with who has a box of extra parts they dont want? Maybe I have what you need if I decide to part it out.

I need ideas.....

==95GTP

the rusty undercarraige (cancer) would be enough to scare me away - been there done that with my old Malibu. otherwise it sounds fixable, but the brakes can be expensive to fix, and if you have a bad turbo that can be expensive too, not to mention body work.

i actually do have a crapload of extra TGP parts, but nothing you already have. personally i would use it as a parts car due to the rust (depends on how bad really tho) and turbocharge another W-body in good condition, then make some money by selling the extra stuff you don't use like badges, front fascia, etc.

altho owning & driving a special editon ASC/McLaren car would be cool.

just my .02

joshua

well rust on the underside is on the suspension parts, the floor pans etc are good. I just hate being under cars and having rust chunks falling in my ears, eyes etc... I always end up using a hammer and other tools of destruction to get something done.

==95GTP

• 2 weeks later...

okay can rust really hurt the suspension parts that badly or can it make the wheels look misaligned or who makes axles for our car's that can take about 300- 500 hp? i need some how hard are they to replace?

hello, if you are interested in parting it out, i will pay cash for the entire drivetrain and such. my girlfriend has a 92 gp se which we just had painted, and we upgraded the suspension and wheels (addco sway bar with 225/45/17's etc. it handles and drives awesome but it needs more sack. i just replaced the head gaskets last week (never bring your car to maaco, they melted it down on me i swear! it overheated the first day i got it back, the a/c was on and the radio was cranked, i assume they took their break in it with the front all taped off, no air = meltdown! ) :wink: so i am sure i can handle the swap. i live in northern mass and can pick it up or even pull everything from it. come to think of it, if you don't wanna bother with it, i'll buy the whole car. i have been combing the local junkyards for 2 years and found nothing. let me know! :wink:

HELL NO!! i'm not about to part out my 1988 cutlass supreme or sell it just who do you think you are its in damn good shape because i bought it as a project car and i won't sell it for any price ever! :x

Easy there, Haywire4130 was just asking, no harm in asking, don’t shoot him for asking, it should be a compliment someone wants what you have, and to offer to accommodate you to acquire it even buy the entire car. It’s yours, we get the point, enjoy it and being here looking for help and giving it.

Thanks

Jeff M

Guest TurboSedan
okay can rust really hurt the suspension parts that badly or can it make the wheels look misaligned or who makes axles for our car's that can take about 300- 500 hp? i need some how hard are they to replace?

i personally wouldn't bother with a rusty project, but that's just me. the axles are really easy to take out, but i use a slide hammer that i got from Harbor Frieght for $20. just take the wheel off (duh), unbolt the lower ball joint and seperate it from the lower control arm with a pickle fork & a BFH, then unbolt the BIG axle nut, swing the whole strut/knuckle out of the way, and push the end of the axle thru the hub so you can get ready to pull it straight out. then use the slide hammer to knock the axle out of the trans. there is a small groove in the inner CV shaft housing that is for the end of the slide hammer. just be careful and don't pull the boot off of the inner CV shaft while you're at it, and be careful not to seperate the CV joints :wink:

EDIT: has anyone here ever broken an axle? and i don't mean a CV joint or ripped boot.....just wondering.

joshua

Oh man...someone parting out a TGP cuz they can't get it to run in their budjet is like someone parting out a Corvett ZR1 or a Caddy Alante...oh the horror. Just sell it whole to a good person who would restore it. Any 3.1 can be turned into a Turbo engine...without any TGP parts. Just a reprogramed mem-cal, 2bar map from Autozone, 22lbs injectors from Jegs or Summit, turbo (junkyard craw, or aftermaket)and plumbing(custom at mufler shops--not midas types).

heres a process of elimination for the neutral switch/park switch...purple is the TCC, Tan/black wire, white wire, Dark Green wire, and lite blue wire are gear wires. ORANGE/black wire and BLACK/white are the n/park wires. Leave the engine in park and short those wires,,then crank her over see if it'll start. once it stars dissconect them and drive off on 1st gear and matt it to see if you can pass 4000 rpm. if it all goes like discribed.. replace your switch. If it doen't, check your wires.

well all that is rusted are the suspension parts which is what i really need not the drive axles those look almost brand new. i need new suspension parts that are not rusted how hard are they to replace? also how can i get some that will take the 350hp thats my guess cause my cousin's camaro has about that much and my car snaps my neck like his does now to:D. my cutlass is bending one of the suspension wish bones :? why the hell would it be doing that :confused: . oh and haywire4130 you should talk to phantom fe3 he lives near junk yards that apparently have a ton of w-bodies in them. haywire4130 if you tell me what you need i might be able to get it for you i'm going to a junk yard in a couple of weeks let me know all right and i work for ups so i know how to package the stuff so it doesn't get lost all right later.

Guest TurboSedan
well all that is rusted are the suspension parts which is what i really need not the drive axles those look almost brand new.

ok i guess i just wasted my time writing you the procedure. but for future reference......it's here. i wouldn't worry about the axles until you're actually making some serious power. there are alot of suspension parts you can replace.....what in particular needs to be replaced?

joshua

all of it :lol: my aunt i bought it from her daughter who is my cousin drove it in the snow and everything she could have before i bought it :? . i managed treat and save the under side except for the suspension parts i need to replace everything but the struts and shocks and front springs any one know where i can get a complete perfomance suspension for about 1000 bucks?

Guest TurboSedan

it can be done for well under a grand. just try to find a low mileage newer 1st GEN W-body with good suspension parts and swap them in. as far as performance aftermarket stuff, an Addco rear sway bar would be good (really good), along with FFP rear coilovers & KYB struts all around, Eibach front lowering springs, and some 16" wheels. oh yeah, a 34mm front sway bar from a used DOHC W-body will help, along with GM strut tower braces and good tires. good new tires will probably bring it over 1 grand tho. just some ideas i'm throwing out....

joshua

okay thats really easy then all i need is another cutlass supreme to strip and a z34 sway bar and as for the tires i have the best touring tires i could get mounted on my international cutlass suprem 16 inch wheels:D so i'm set there and those addco sway bars are not that expensive so thats not a problem either its just ffp rear coil overs and kyb struts all around and eibach front lowering springs the will cost me the most right?

i thought the turbo motor had different internals than the n/a 3.1... i know it has lower compression for the turbo. i just want a reliable car when i'm done. where can i get the mem cal you speak of? and do you have a part number for the 2 bar map from autozone? i would appreciate the help. i am against chopping up valuble and rare cars as much as the next guy, i just thought this was the only way to go. my friend just swapped an 84 mustang svo motor into his 89 mustang 5 speed convertible, the car's a blast, but i want to beat his ass! help! maybe i should've started a new post for this topic! :oops: