don't set a battery on concrete?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

has anyone else heard this? one of my friends said that setting a battery on concrete will kill or drain it or something? sounds like a crazy myth to me.

joshua

Guest Anonymous

I have heard the same thing. I had a brand new battery once and it was setting on my front porch, which was concrete. I went to put it in the next day and it was dead.

Guest TurboSedan

i wonder if it has something to do with the limestone in the concrete? at least i *think* concrete is made of limestone....? i guess i'll keep in mind not to set batteries down on concrete from now on. wierd. :?

joshua

BS ! this a total myth . modern batts have a plastic non conductive shell and leaving them on anything less then a giant magnet isnt going to do squat . This story came from years ago when auto batts were cased in <GASP> wood ! and would saturate the case with fluid . This would allow the batt to discharge very fast . The other side of the story is people take a batt lay in on their garage flood for 6 months and then think it went dead because it was on concrete when it just went dead and sulfated because it was neglected . And while were at it mixing synthetic and natural oil will not damage or effect your engine in any negative way .

well it's not a myth on my battery!!! i set it on the ground and it died on me jus like joe's........i've heard it has to do with the magnets in the earth or something but i'm not sure....

No it has nothing to do with being on concrete . Its likely that the Batt wasn't that good to begin with probably partly sulfated and without a steady recharging periodicly it just died . It also may have been because the floor was cold and that will drop a batt's charge fast too . Being on concrete alone will not make a batt discharge or die any faster then being on any other normal surface .Its a coincidence

• 2 weeks later...

I have to install batterys where I work, and I can tell you that it is a myth. If battery discharges when it is set on concrete, then that means that the battery was bad to begin with. At work, batters will sit on the concrete floor for up to 2 months, and when I put it in the car, it is stiff (mostly) charges to the point that if it is any weaker, I can't tell. If a bettery is dead when I put it in the car, then that means that it is a defective battery, and nothing else.