'00 Chevy Impala Seats and Motor question!!

91LuminaEuro

So, i may be possibly getting a 2000 base model impala for free. The car was being driven from Alaska to somewhere nearby, and the motor developed a bottom end knock..(really bad) So the rented a moving truck and trailer to tow it the rest of the way, however the woman jack-knifed the truck and took out the rear bumper on the car...sooo it got a couple small issues. Needs a new motor and rear bumper cover.

My first question is that is has the 3400 SFI engine, i have been told that they are completely interchangeable with the 3100 SFI...is this true? I have a 3100 SFI from my brothers old 95 Buick Regal it had just been rebuilt and a year or two later the car developed massive rust issues so we canned it but saved the engine. Is it possible just to drop my 3100 in it an go? Or is there no way? Or is it fairly complicated? I dont know at all.

My next question is that because its a based model impala, its got a split bench up front. I LOVE bucket seats and woudl much rather have them. Is the mounting the same for the split bench as it would be buckets? Or is it different? Or somewhat similar? I might be able to get a seat of buckets to put in the front. I'm not worried about converting it to floor shift. I'll just put in a center console for storage. I actually have a cool design for one from a Lumina where i convert the shifter plate into cup holders with some fiberglass.

Also, it doesnt have a spoiler, which will need to be changed. What do you guys think, I am really fond of the newer Impala SS spoilers...do you guys like those better or the stock ones? LMK what you guys think.

Its getting a set of 15inch american racing wheels i've got layin around to replace the steelies. It also needs a dent in the pass fender fixed and I'll probably get the whole car painted because there r a couple blemishes from the car sitting. Its white, so it will probably stay whit, just maybe get a pearl treatment.

This is all of coarse riding on the fact that I will be able to get the car transferred to me as an abandoned vehicle. Its been sitting at my dad's shop for 4 or so years. The owners dont bother contacting us, we called them twice asking them what was up and both times they just waked us around in circles (last time was over 2 years ago)

Anyway, so let me know what you guys think.

well, depends on what you have for inspection on the motor, but I am going to say no, and that if yes, it will be involved. 95 was obd1.5, while 96+ has obd2, so you'll be missing some sensors and such on the motor, and the EPA/Inspection places frown on going backwards in OBD compatability (might be illegal, not sure)

With the 3.4L, the motors can be had for relatively cheap, depending on miles. I can get one here for $550 with around 90k. might be easier to fine a new one of those.

For hte seats, I believe that the same mounting locations were used for both, but don't quote me.

If you end up parting it, and it's the bright white, rather than the cream white, I might be interested in the driver's side fender.

honestly you *should* be able to get away with using the 3100. I would swap the bigger intakes on it and that will eliminate almost all the incompatibility's that you would run into. a 95+ engine should at least have the provisions for a secondary crank sensor and cam sensor (does the 3x00 even have them????)

Considering you got the car for free I would do it, Put as little in it as you can. Provided you would be alright with less power you should be a-ok .

Thanks for the input guys! We're going to do some more re-search in the engine swap, as long as its legal, we might do it. My dad is a mechanic and does the state inspection/emissions so we operate on the up and up. Plus if i ever go to sell the car, i wouldn't want to sell someone a car that might cause them issues.

So, we're gonna do some more re-search. We may just end up getting a NEW rebuilt Jasper engine. We put one in my Lumina back in 99-00 and its still running strong, i just want to upgrade.

Here are some pics.

n35104578_32544527_9260.jpg

n35104578_32544526_9006.jpg

n35104578_32544525_8751.jpg

n35104578_32544524_8509.jpg

A quick photoshop with the bumper fixed and the wheels i might put on it.

n35104578_32544523_8231.jpg

The car doesn't look bad at all! It would be a good buy if you could get it. I think that you could swap the 3100 and the interior with no problems...don't quote me, though.

Yeah, it should be nice, it will be getting a flowmaster exhaust, with dual tips. Eithe rthe SS spoiler r a stock looking one. Some other odds and ends to make the car stand out.

This all providing things don't fall through with getting the title. Its been a very tricky process so far. Ugh.

Quick random question. Are you sure it's a 2000 and not a 2001? The only reason I say this, is because I've never seen a 2000 with the black plastic rub strip that runs around the license plate. It usually stopped for the license plate, then continued (hopefully that makes sense, I'll see if I can find a pic of what I am talking about.)

On later years, like 03's + the LS's came this way too. Or so I think.

Consider this:

an 00 impala got a 3400,

and

an 00 GP got a 3100.

(btw, the gear ratios are the same between those cars)

since the short block is the same between 95 and 00, it should be "emissions legal" if the following is done:

to use the 95 3100 long block, you would need to install the upper intakes. if possible the rockers on the 95 heads should be changed to the newer roller rockers, if the heads have the proper provisions. if not, you can clearance the intake anyhow(carefully), and the motor will be fine.

when you change and engine you want to use all the parts and accessories from the impala anyhow, so everything gets changed in the process... taking care of all issues except one:

The only "non-bolt on" sensor is the temp sensor, and that is something deleted after 95, so it does not matter, just stick a pipe fitting in it to seal the hole.

so: basically the long block would fit and should work, but everything else mounted to the motor must be from the impala.

last question is if you would have a tuning problem going from a 3400 to a 3100?

Quick random question. Are you sure it's a 2000 and not a 2001? The only reason I say this, is because I've never seen a 2000 with the black plastic rub strip that runs around the license plate. It usually stopped for the license plate, then continued (hopefully that makes sense, I'll see if I can find a pic of what I am talking about.)

On later years, like 03's + the LS's came this way too. Or so I think.

Yes, it is a 2000, the insurance card is in the car and says so, as well as the door tag.