"How To" Drum Brakes

dodgethis

Hey everyone I had completed replacing my shoes and even my drums. I am doing a write up on what followed through the process. I first want to make the point that drums are not really that bad to work on (well in my experience at least). I take no responsibility if your brake something, yada yada yada.

I want to stress that not all drums look the same especially on Lumina's. Let me at least show you the difference between mine and another.

This is what mine looks like: (98 Lumina)

Drum1.jpg

This a drum from a (96 Lumina) Courtesy from Blue bowtie from Automotive forums

96lumina.jpg

You can see the difference between what I had worked on than what was on the '96 Lumina. (In my opinion I like the old layout from the '96 Lumina because Its easier to put on the shoes.)

Anyway, first jack up the car. The jack or jack stands will be sitting on the pinch welds towards the back wheel. (NOT ON THE BACK BUMPER!) I am talking before you get to the rear tire put the jack or jack stands in front of it.

Now pull the tire off and you will see the drum facing. In my case I was able to pull the drum off with no problem. In the event the drum cannot come off there is a window behind the drum "The Backing Plate" where you can put a screw driver or something and turn the wheel to get the shoes to compress.

insideod.jpg

This is the inside of my old drum. Typically the way to tell if your drums are bad is to see any scaring on the inside of the drum. The old drum I pulled off didn't look that bad but I thought since I am working on drums, might as well buy some new ones to seal the deal.

closerod.jpg

This is just showing how the old shoes wore on the drum and will see grooves where the shoes have pressed on the drum.

compare2.jpg

Again this another picture of the old drum and new one a side each other

Now its time to have fun pulling things a part. Spray the components with some brake cleaning fluid. A pan should be put under it so to catch the fluid.

Step 1. Pull the Spring that is on the right hand side as the photo shows. I choose this side to be easier to work on because the parking brake arm isn't there to be an issue. It is important to be careful to pull this spring because it is very taunt. Another point to make is once the spring is taken off be aware of how strong the uniform wire that holds the shoes on are. It is the huge Wire that runs from the left shoe to the right shoe. The picture shown below shows this wire right next to the "Parking Brake arm."

Before.jpg

The wire is very strong and will take some strength to get it come out of the hole on the shoe and to get it to let go of the shoe all together. When the spring is taking off the small metal piece will come off which once held the spring. The Star wheel key can then be taken out as soon as the shoe comes off.

I neglected to take a picture of the right side shoe off but its fairly simple. It will be easier to work on the left side since the tension from the huge wire is relieved from the right side. Just pull the huge wire out of the hole and one will be able to pull the shoe off. It is very important not to mess up the Emergency brake arm because it is hooked in the hole by a metal lip from the arm. The picture below shows what i mean with the left shoe taken off. (See the metal lip at the top of the arm?)

drumside2.jpg

Step 2. Now that you have the Shoes and everything taken off take some grease and put a light coat around the 3 corners of each side. There are a total of six spots that need to be greased. This is to keep the shoes from make noise when the move out while being held onto the backing plate. (See the 3 spots that are raised on the backing plate?, two can be seen on the right and one on the left)

Drum2.jpg

Step 3. Grab your star wheel as it is two pieces. Be sure to put some grease on the end of the star wheel (The part that separates) and put it back together. Then grab a new shoe that is on the correct side "Didn't really matter for this car" and start putting it back on the drum. It basically goes on the way it came off. I want to point out that be sure the brake cable end is pointing in the same direction the exhaust pipe is out. The point is is because when I dealt with it the first time i had the brake end not seated right and it was pointing at the back plate. This caused a kink on the brake cable and every time the wheel hub moved the brake cable was rubbing on the back of it. The photo below shows how it shouldnt NOT be placed.

cable.jpg

Step 4. When you get the shoe on with the Emergency brake plate correctly installed, and the huge arm is in the hole grab the next shoe and install it on the other side. Be sure to take the star wheel with both pieces together have it retracted to be the smallest length and put it back together. This can be a pain while fighting the tension from the left side and getting it to sit on the right side. What i should do is get wire coat hanger and cut it so that i have a wire to bend and turn it into a hook so i can pull back the wires, or springs when putting everything back together.

Step 5. When new shoes are put on, now adjusting has to be put on the new shoes. This is pretty simple. What I do is take a flat head screw driver and turn the star wheel that will make the shoes to expand. I then put the drum on and put one lug nut on it and start rotating the drum. The point is is to feel a slight drag when one is turning the drum. When your satisfied with the drag, jump in the car and press the brake pedal. This will get wheel cylinders to seat evenly with the shoes. The drums may need adjusted just a little. It is simple just turn the star wheel and try to feel the slight drag with the drum as mentioned earlier.

Step 6. When adjusting is done but the drum on and wheel on. Torque the lug nuts on the car and take the jack off.

The same can be said for the other side drum in replacing the shoes.

(A Important word of advice)

I ran into a problem earlier when i first changed my shoes. I could get the shoes on but had the hardest time getting the new or old drum back on. What i found out was what i thought i put everything back together was one side of the star wheel was not flush on that side. It was the side where it hooks with the emergency brake arm. I had a small space between the two which made the shoes sit outside the boundary for the drum to go back on. Just make sure it is seated correctly and there isn't space so that the shoes will fit like it should. This picture shoes what im talking about

point.jpg