Second Gear Start. about and how to add

Crazy K

HOW DOES IT WORK?

magic. just like timing belts, blinker fluid and muffler bearings.

Second gear start is actuated by the pcm commanding shift selonoid A to be deactivated, rendering the transmission in second gear. The in vehicle switch provides a ground to the PCM which controls the powertrain. and transmission.

What does it do?

It is a simple and primitive form of basic traction control.

91-93 GPs:

with second gear start have the switch at the front of the console, whether or not there was a DIC.

the switch is between the DIC and shifter on DIC cars, and on the slopped downward front surface of the console on non-DIC cars.

I have only seen the switch in 3.4 powered cars.

only 93 could have had the option of having the second gear start with a 3.1mpfi, if that was ever an option. I have actually not seen a 93 3.1 GP with a 4t60e since i started looking, but have seen at least 4 with 3t40?!?! i have seen a 3.1 mpfi 4t60e 1993 GP without a second gear start switch and a console, though they may still have had them.

they have a orange bulb (or LED?) at the switch to indicate if it is on. (do they have any indication in the gauge cluster?)

94-96 GPs

switch: located on the i/p knee pad near left side.

simple gray toggle switch mounted in a bezel.

two styles have been observed. one with an indicator LED imbedded, and one without.

EARLY 94 models have the illuminated indicator switch. (newest vehicle I have observed with the switch dated 10/94)

I have now also seen cars that are pre-wired for the illuminated switch but utilizing the regular switch. (dated 10/93 and 11/93)

All the GPs I've looked in have had in no matter the engine or the options, even the total stripper models, have SGS.

additionally, an indicator script in cluster stating "second gear start" in blue is present.

ADDING SECOND GEAR START in non GP models.

Underhood wiring in all the cars has been the same... the wire already exists in a non GP model from the PCM to the firewall connector. if you were to seperate the C100 connector and observe any wires on the engine side that were not continued into the body harness, and checking the wire color reveals it to be blue, that in the second gear start wire. (I will look up pin info later)

when i have added it, no matter which year 4t60e equipped vehicle, I use the 94-96 switch, as they are more common and are intended to be installed in a "cut" hole with the bezel. I add a wire to the body side of the C100 connector... and run it to the switch, and the other wire from the switch is grounded.

94-96 switch:

EARLY type 1994 GP second gear start switch connector:

A PNK hot in run, bulb test, or start (+)

B BLK ground (-)

C GRY variable backlighting (+)

D not used

E BLK ground (-)

F BLU second gear start feed (to PCM)

Late type 1994-1996 GP second gear start switch connector:

A PNK hot in run, bulb test, or start (+)

B BLK ground (-)

C not used

D not used

E not used

F not used

94-96 GP and 1994-1997 CS Headlight Switch maybe 94-96 Regal and 95+ Lumina/MC

[info courtesy of StockGP and 94 CS FSM]

Pin# Wire color Purpose(connection/source)

A BLK ground

B WHT dome light

C DK BLU door open input

D GRY door lock "lock" signal

E TAN driver door "unlock" signal

F PNK hot in run, bulb test, or start (+)

G BRN/WHT VF dimming output

H GRY variable backlighting

I GRY/BLK park lights "on" signal

J --- not used

K DK GRN headlights off signal to DRL (only on DRL equipped models)(also theoretic feed to FTP)

L YEL headlights on feed to dimmer switch

M --- not used

N RED circuit breaker hot ?

O ORN fused hot ?

P LT BLU park lights off signal to DRL(only on DRL equipped models)

R BRN Park lights on feed

CONNECTOR MATCHING INFO:

2GS F BLU second gear start feed (to PCM)

refer to related info on c100 or PCM location for your vehicle.

2GS E BLK ground (-)

2GS B BLK ground (-) (if applicable)

HLS A BLK ground

2GS C GRY variable backlighting (+) (if applicable)

HLS H GRY variable backlighting (+) (if applicable)

2GS A PNK hot in run, bulb test, or start (+)

HLS F PNK hot in run, bulb test, or start (+)

1992:

PCM position: D6

C100 harness position: E4

color: Dark Blue

1994:

PCM position: C22

C100 harness position: J1

color: white/black stripe? [Dark Blue observed]

1996:

WIRE PRESENT IN OLDSMOBILE AND GRAND PRIX ONLY, per 1996 FSM

PCM position: ??

C100 harness position: J1

color: Blue

they have a orange bulb (or LED?) at the switch to indicate if it is on. (do they have any indication in the gauge cluster?)

Nothing on the gauge cluster. (1993 Grand Prix GTP)

... You say it is is a primitive form of traction control... Would it be wise for me to use this? Right now the roads are extremely icy and snowy. Or would this cause unnecessary wear? The driving I do with our conditions really only have me hitting second gear anyway.

Nothing on the gauge cluster. (1993 Grand Prix GTP)

... You say it is is a primitive form of traction control... Would it be wise for me to use this? Right now the roads are extremely icy and snowy. Or would this cause unnecessary wear? The driving I do with our conditions really only have me hitting second gear anyway.

If they made it possible for you to use, I'd say it's not going to have that much of an adverse effect... as long as you're not totally abusing it, though I'd say these transmissions can take some abuse. My first 4T60E equipped car was a '95 Grand Prix SE sedan, and the first winter I drove it, we had a blizzard-type snowstorm. I was able to get through multiple snowdrifts (thanks to my steelies and thin tires) but Second Gear Start was a major ally, as it helped me to not get stuck spinning my tires, and I can't count how many times I flipped from D to R repeatedly rocking myself out of snowdrifts. That car is probably still driving today, it went at least another 30k after that.

normal traction control is absolutely terrible. the only thing its good for is if you need a percture perfect launch on dry day in a powerful car. in the snow it will get you stuck. sgs although primitive, is much better. i especially like it for pulling out of turns in the snow so i dont have 4 hours of wheelspin.

I left my house in Detroit in the middle of the storm Friday at 10:30 am. I had no problem getting home to Rochester/Shelby area. The drive is about 30 miles and is usually about 45 mins., which took me about an hour. I did slide in a few spots but second gear start really won't do much in slides. I never used it at all over the past two days and my car had no trouble at all.

With that said, I came back to Detroit last night around 12 am, and got stuck trying to parallel park in front of my house. 10" of snow+ 245/50/16 BF Goodrich G-force KDWS is not good in the snow. The car got buried and I was worried about rocking a nearly 200k original trans. I did anyways though, although I tried to do it moderately. I even had someone else drive it while my neighbor and I pushed. Our street doesn't get plowed.

Long story short I need better tires and I'm more willing to use Second Gear Start this winter although does it help when the car is buried? Ohh and it shows up in green on my instrument panel.

So what you're saying Ken is some 94-96 cars had a switch with a LED on it also?! I would like to see this.

I use the second gear start in my 95 monte, but myn is through the transmission controller from TCI, just put the gear selector in second and it starts from there. The reason I used it was because the car has no mufflers, side exit exhaust, and first gear is set up to shift at like 3500-4000 even under normal to light acceleration. So basicly it keeps the noise level down a bit from the stop lights. As for traction.....well if I started in 3rd it would roll smoke until 4th lol

In my 93 Suburban, manually shifting the 4L60e into 2nd would lock into second gear at any speed and/or takeoff. This is VERY HELPFUL when it is icy, you don't have posi, and you are trying to get a truck to move. When my trans is healed, I will add the 2nd gear start. You only need to use it once or twice to figure out how cool it is to be able to drive away while everyone else can't.

Long story short I need better tires and I'm more willing to use Second Gear Start this winter although does it help when the car is buried?

Probably not. its only good when the car is free to roll but with no traction. when your buried or near stuck you need as much peel out power as possible

Long story short I need better tires and I'm more willing to use Second Gear Start this winter although does it help when the car is buried?

Probably not. its only good when the car is free to roll but with no traction. when your buried or near stuck you need as much peel out power as possible

Gotcha...good to know. I used it coming home on Tuesday, worked pretty damn well if you ask me taking off from lights.

• 1 month later...

At least on DIC consoles, the indicator light is an orange LED. Quite frankly, it is utterly worthless. My understanding via the FSM is that its purpose is this: if you are parked on ice, and try to pull out of a spot, it helps you from loosing traction. As far as driving, it does nothing. FYI.

My '93 GP SE (3.1L) has second gear start.

they have a orange bulb (or LED?) at the switch to indicate if it is on. (do they have any indication in the gauge cluster?

Theres no instrument indicator, just an orange light on the switch. The light is just a regular bulb with an orange lense.