Which STB?

jmoore4294

Which STB is better?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which STB is better?

• Held Motorsports

YOU WENT THE WRONG WAY!

I know. It is sad. But I needed something that had been better taken care of, and didn't require me dumping a bunch of money into in order for it to get me back and forth to work. So I sold her for $450, and bought this other one for $750. I do still need to get pics.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=72617.0

well, i have a 3.1 STB, i am just too lazy to throw it up here, and i really am not liking the idea of having to ship the stupid thing.

but i would go with the 3.1, just because (atleast for me) they are easier to find;

For me, they are super rare around here. I visit the "local" pull a part regularly, and have only come across 2 verts, and both were damn near stripped to the bare metal. So, going with held or getting one shipped from someone on here who has one, would be the only way for me.

OMG you people.. Theres no 3.1/3.4 bars! Theres an early design and a improved design..

ummmm.......not true....

Duuddee, idk where your getting your info.. Ive seen first hand. Ive seen over 30 verts in junkyards. Most had the square bar (92ish plus 3.1/3.4) and only the early ones had the round bar.

Duuddee, idk where your getting your info.. Ive seen first hand. Ive seen over 30 verts in junkyards. Most had the square bar (92ish plus 3.1/3.4) and only the early ones had the round bar.

pre '94 verts with the 3.1 had the round bar

all 3.4 verts regardless of year had the square bar

'94-95 3100s had the square bar

x2, here's mine.

Picture013.jpg

Nope, ive seen 3.1's with the square bar..

It's not that hard to change, they were probably upgraded at some point.

It's not that hard to change, they were probably upgraded at some point.

Possible but highly unlikely.. Ive looked into this before.. Either bar works on either engine and there is an early design and a later more common improved design.

The reason the square ones were designed like they were (arched back from the strut towers against the firewall) was to clear the 3.4 plenum and the brake fluid reservoir (thus the little indentation on the far driver's side). The round ones don't clear the 3.4, which was the whole reason for the redesign, as far as I understand. This is why they are usually referred to as 3.1 and 3.4 bars. The 3.4 will clear any w-body. The 3.1 won't clear the LQ1.

Structurally, I really don't think either one is going to be stronger than the other, at least not enough that you can tell a difference. Aesthetically, it's a matter of taste. I like the square ones better because the round ones seem cheap to me somehow. I don't think I've come across a round one yet in the junkyards, but I've seen (and snagged) probably a good dozen square bars.

The reason the square ones were designed like they were (arched back from the strut towers against the firewall) was to clear the 3.4 plenum and the brake fluid reservoir (thus the little indentation on the far driver's side). The round ones don't clear the 3.4, which was the whole reason for the redesign, as far as I understand. This is why they are usually referred to as 3.1 and 3.4 bars. The 3.4 will clear any w-body. The 3.1 won't clear the LQ1.

Structurally, I really don't think either one is going to be stronger than the other, at least not enough that you can tell a difference. Aesthetically, it's a matter of taste. I like the square ones better because the round ones seem cheap to me somehow. I don't think I've come across a round one yet in the junkyards, but I've seen (and snagged) probably a good dozen square bars.

what he said.

so far... all 90, 91 and 92 verts i have seen have the round bar.

so far... all 93, 94 and 95 verts i have seen have the square bar.

the LQ1 was not offered till 93 as far as i can tell.

hence... they updated the design to a universal one that worked when they began putting a 3.4 motor in. It is more cost effective than making two types of bars.