buying a 90 TGP tomorrow w/ a bad tranny leak

383ws6

new to the site and have read quite a few posts before asking, but i'm getting a black/tan 90 TGP in the morning and i already know it has a bad trans fluid leak. my uncle owns a wrecker service and got this car from a woman passing through when the tranny stopped shifting. he added a few quarts of fluid and it worked fine for a couple of hours before it needed fluid again. he took it to a local shop who told him it would cost over $2500 to repair the transmission since it was a "special high performance" transmission for the turbo models. he said it had to be something wrong with the trans and couldn't be fixed by replacing the seals since they would just blow out also. is this a common problem with these cars? i'm going to pick it up regardless since it's not really going to cost anything to acquire the car with the title, just wondering how much it's probably going to cost to get it running smoothly. thanks for any advice in advance and you guys have a great message board with some pretty knowledgeable people on here.

Yes, the transmission is specific to these cars. The cost is all dependent on the shop really. I'd say expect anywhere between $1400-$2500. Pretty broad range, but these are quotes I've heard.

i'm in west texas. does this sound like a common problem with these cars? i know a transmission person that is extremely savvy, but not very cheap. i'm going to call him this evening to see what he knows about them.

well, i picked it up and it looks like it's going to need more work than i am willing to put into it. it'll be in the for sale section as soon as i can clean it up and get some pics taken. what's the going rate on one of these in "fair" condition. it's by no means a prize, but could definately be a good project car.

I would be able to give a ballpark figure if I saw some pics of it.

It depends on if the brakes are working well and a few other factors like how nice the interior is and the mileage.

looks like the tranny is leaking from behind the bellhousing or thereabouts. almost looks like a gasket busted or something weird like that. filled it up w/ trans fluid and took it down the street.... runs amazingly strong considering i can hear a boost leak coming from the x-over pipe. the interior is decent and should clean up nicely. slight crinkles in the driver's seat leather, but the other seats look pretty good. stereo is missing, shifter boot is broken, doors don't open very well (easy fix), driver side window control cover is missing a screw to hold it down, sunroof has leaked and deteriorated the cover and headliner, paint isn't exactly great. tires are quite new, wheel's look almost new, new mufflers, looks like a new brake master cylinder, hud and compass work great. hopefully i'll get some pics up this week. wish i had more time and money to spend on it, since i know i could get it looking good fairly cheap, but the wife totaled her volvo and we're looking for an suv. i'm in andrews, tx for the one that asked.