I would appreciate some advice from the resident TGP experts.

old442man

I found a classified on here for a 1990 Coupe. This is what he listed that he has done to it,

"New parts include: Transmission has 1000 miles on it, upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, upgraded turbo, struts, tires, upper wiring harness, alternator, crossover pipe, battery, computer."

I called him and he said that the tranny was rebuilt by "a guy who has been doing it for years" this kind of concerns me and brings up my first ? have you ever heard of someone have an auto rebuilt wrong because they didn't know that it wasn't a normal tranny from a 3.1?

I didn't get any details on what he did to "upgrade" the turbo but he did tell me that the heater core is out of it. Dad said maybe with that bigger turbo he took out the heater core and head gaskets.....go ask the guys on W-body. I was hoping that it had a factory blow-off valve but from what little I've read it doesn't sound like it. I know it is plausible ..what do you all think?

He said that it's in good shape with 140,000 one dent in back bumper and passenger side body kit is coming loose, all things considered including heater core what do any of you think it's worth?

Would have to see the ad to say a good price. Pics say a 1000 words..

As for the heater, after having done one in my TGP, and knowing what a pain in the fucking ass it is. Its no surprise that it doesnt have one, or it has one, thats just been bypassed.

the tgp comes with a beefed up tranny so you don't want one with a regular 4t60 even if its rebuilt.

what its worth depends on a lot and if you had more info that was relevant to its value it would be easier to give it a ballpark worth.

My brother looked at it for me tonight, he said that the body molding is coming off of the passenger side door and there is a little surface rust there. He said the dent in the back bumper should just pop out, and the paint is wore on the pinch weld just in front of the RR tire. He said it takes off awesome and shifts really hard. The guy who rebuilt it is familiar with race cars apparently so I'm assuming that he put a shift kit in it. The turbo is a t28, is this safe for the motor or will it build too much pressure? What do you guys think now?

A T28 isn't massive by any means, and the motor/trans should be able to hold up to it fine, though I'd be curious if any tuning was done for it. The hard shifting is normal from my experience and what I've read, but I'd still ask specifics on how the trans was rebuilt. Maybe even ask if you can talk to the guy that did it. The molding is coming off because the metal strip that the top of the molding is supposed to slide over rusts out, and can no longer hold the molding. Same thing happened on the driver's door of my TGP. I just removed it all together for now because it was getting caught on the fender when I opened the door.

Other things that will determine value: How were the brakes? ABS or brake light on at all? Spongy or firm pedal? Any work done to the Powermaster III unit? How about the crossover pipe? Was it ever replaced? If not, you can count on needing one. Does it have leather, sunroof or CD player? Any other maintenance, repairs or mods? Anything else it needs (brake pads, tires, etc)?

yes it is in Alexandria MN. I called a GM dealer this morning and of course the parts guy never knew they existed but he said that the head gaskets for them are discontinued. Are different head gaskets from the normal 3.1's necessary or will they work if it does need them, and if it requires different ones where can I get them?

yes it is in Alexandria MN. I called a GM dealer this morning and of course the parts guy never knew they existed but he said that the head gaskets for them are discontinued. Are different head gaskets from the normal 3.1's necessary or will they work if it does need them, and if it requires different ones where can I get them?

The standard Felpro headgaskets are fine to use. Part # 9471PT(about $25 for both of them). The head bolts on these cars are "torque to yield" style and should be replaced when changing the gaskets. Fel-Pro head bolt sets are about $25. If you get it, confirm that the gaskets are bad before tearing the engine down and replacing them for nothing. Also, get yourself a repair manual to use as a guide if this is your first time doing a job like this.