LEDs in Headlamps! (DONE!) :-)

Timm

Could a LED survive inside a headlamp assembly?

Would it be too hot?

I want to wire in 2 LEDs in each headlamp, and have them come on with my parking lamps.

Maybe drill the holes, and seal it up with silicone?

It would look SWEET!

and don't tell me if it's illegal.

If I get pulled over, I want to be able to say that I didn't know that it was illegal.

p_00330.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-100-X-3mm-Blue-LED-5000mcd-Free-Resistors_W0QQitemZ250326051315QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Electronic_Components?hash=item250326051315&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

There's the ones I got

There working GREAT for the price!

The headlamp assembly naturally helps to diffuse the lights.

Can't wait to get on the car! :mrgreen:

PICT3172.jpg

PICT3173.jpg

DONE!

This was maybe one of the best projects I've done.

The cost was LOW!

It only took 7 HOURS!

and IMO, one of the COOLEST THINGS I'VE DONE TO MY CAR!!!

:mrgreen:

Now my hopes are with its durability to the test of time, weather, and the heat and vibration of the car.

EDIT

Also, it looks much better in real life.

Any one who tries taking pictures of their successes will know my pain.

THE PICTURES NEVER TURN OUT!

DONE!

The cost was LOW!

It only took 7 HOURS!

Now my hopes are with its durability to the test of time, weather, and the heat and vibration of the car.

EDIT

Did you wire them right into your park lamps then? Some more info on the wiring would be helpful.

Looks good man! Ive been playing around with LEDs myself for awhile and looking for new places to put them.

Next up is dome lights, :neutral: (Probably take FOREVER).

Then Reverse Lights, which should be easy. I'm leaving the real bulb in, just giving it a heavy blue tint with maybe 10 LED's.

what kind of led's did you use? i could pm you a link to some very bright 3watt led's that would be super bright in your headlights.

But they do look good, are they blue led's?

I am looking into doing something of this nature, and I also want to firstly replace all my interior gauge and IP lighting with LEDs as I have some bulbs burning out, and just want a better overall look. So if you know where I could get ones for both 1996regals purpose, and ones for IP cluster, that would awesome. I have no problem with wiring, soldering and electronics.

DONE!

The cost was LOW!

It only took 7 HOURS!

EDIT

Did you wire them right into your park lamps then? Some more info on the wiring would be helpful.

Headlight.jpg

Yup, I think that should basically explain it.

what value of resistor?

Can't quite decipher the ring colors on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-100-X-3mm-Blue-LED-5000mcd-Free-Resistors_W0QQitemZ250326051315QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Electronic_Components?hash=item250326051315&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240

I got the resistors 13.2 v...

Never mind, too much thinking to do conversions.

Fixed DVOM.

540 ohms

Running led's with the reg bulb for reverse lights? doesnt that defeat the purpose of running led's? It wont give much of the desired effect with the reg bulb in. then the down fall to running led is its a directional light so unless u place that strategically they wont be great when it comes to function, or is that why u'r considering leaving the reg bulb in? Just take the time to repalce the reg bulb with led's I think it would be a lot better & look @ lot cleaner.

Running led's with the reg bulb for reverse lights? doesnt that defeat the purpose of running led's? It wont give much of the desired effect with the reg bulb in. then the down fall to running led is its a directional light so unless u place that strategically they wont be great when it comes to function, or is that why u'r considering leaving the reg bulb in? Just take the time to repalce the reg bulb with led's I think it would be a lot better & look @ lot cleaner.

out of fucking nowhere RenegadeZ reappears after not posting for almost 2 years !!!

Welcome back :)

out of fucking nowhere RenegadeZ reappears after not posting for almost 2 years !!!

Welcome back :)

And he still uses that signature RED text! :lol:

I think the LED's in the headlights look decent, but I don't see any functionality of them other than maybe at a car show that takes place at night where they'd be more visible. If you're doing it for a car show, you might as well go ahead and install strobes like a lot of people do.

Mostly for show, you can't see them all that great with the headlamps on. (Duh! :lol:) But I'm too cheap to go for strobes...

-----------------Story of money-------------------------------

VERY LITTLE CASH FLOW!

It takes me 4 months to come up with $50... :sad:

Yea, I need a job.

I've applied at several fast food places, and EVERY grocery store in my area.

No dice.

I need to go get ASE Certified.

I'm already capable of becoming certified in Brakes.

And taking an ASE Certified course this year in Electronics.

As some of you may know ASE certification is necessary for an automotive job.

All persons who repair motor vehicles for compensation (including the reconditioning, replacement, diagnosis, adjustment or alteration of the operating condition of the vehicle or any component or sub-

assembly) in any category of major repair, must be certified by the State of Michigan.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-49534_50302---,00.html

-----------------------------End Story--------------------------------------

Okay, so now I want to have the LED's and the front 2 parking lamps to automatically be on when the ignition in in the run position.

This diagram should work.

BUT

Wouldn't that make my car go into the "RUN" if someone flipped the parking lamps on?

DISCUSS!

(My brain hurts from making this diagram now...)

Lampsautoon.jpg

The relay is to separate the front two lights from the rest of the parking light circuit, but allow them to come on when the parking lights are turned on.

(A giant, highly rated diode would also do the job.)

The switch is destined to stay on, unless something comes up and I need them off, but still want my regular parking lights.

Don't ask why I want this.

I'm bad at coming up with good answers for half the stuff I do.

I find my best ideas are my least thought through.

The LEDs look bad without the orange contrasting them.

I think I'll just replace the bulb with LEDs. They're just not that bright (IMO) Maybe I'll search for some ultra bright ones!

Oh, and the colour cycling ones!

That'd look awesome!